The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on May 19, 2004, 11:19:12 am

Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: starlight on May 19, 2004, 11:19:12 am
aww poor beef... had to discard of his unfinished car.
Title: Re: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 19, 2004, 01:35:12 pm
And that little half-finished car grew up to be...

...in a landfill.  I'm Paul Harvey.  Goo-DAY!
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Nabubrush on May 19, 2004, 02:27:04 pm
That was fucked. No wonder sometimes Beef pops off. All carving his derby car with a spoon.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AugustWest on May 19, 2004, 02:30:26 pm
This one hit close to home.

I love my Dad dearly.  He's a wonderful father, but quite possibly the most mechanically inept human being on the face of the planet.  So I was pretty much on my own when I made my first Pinewood Derby car.  You could tell.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2004, 04:31:04 pm
Ray's better have little tiny people in it. And the personalized plates.

Of course now I've flashed back to watching the Weird Science tv show and Duckman alone on Saturday nights.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 19, 2004, 05:20:46 pm
My pinewood derby cars were teh suk.  Not quite carving them with a spoon in the dark, but close.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: V-Adore on May 19, 2004, 05:54:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Ray's better have little tiny people in it. And the personalized plates.

Of course now I've flashed back to watching the Weird Science tv show and Duckman alone on Saturday nights.

Man, you and me both. You and me both.

(... Okay, so usually my mom was up too. God only knows why.)

Anyway, I just really like the idea of Ray being that  much of a Weird Science nerd that young. Little Nephew would plotz.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 06:47:57 pm
We had Weird Science so watered down over here.
We only got it really late, and even then it was four days away from Duckman, if they ever overlapped each other on a week to week basis at all.

It's like, living over here robbed me of so many things that could have been, like Weird Science and Duckman, nestling together in their rightful place.
And the early days of The Simpsons... Didn't get them 'til about '96.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: misterhaan on May 19, 2004, 07:43:05 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've flashed back to watching the Weird Science tv show and Duckman alone on Saturday nights.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, you and me both. You and me both.


yeah, and me too.  i think i still have a vhs tape (or two) of duckman around somewhere . . .
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Gimpson on May 19, 2004, 08:09:43 pm
Duckman still shows occasionally on Comedy Central late overnight.  My DVR catches an episode or three every couple weeks.

The episode where he dates the ugly duck who gets plastic surgery and becomes a supermodel is truly The Saddest Thing.  

I felt like I had been kicked in the solar plexus after I saw that one.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Ben-San on May 19, 2004, 08:18:48 pm
My Pinewood Derby car (I only entered once was basically "block of pinewood with the front cut downwards at an angle and then given a psychedelic paint job". I completely lost in every category.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: V-Adore on May 19, 2004, 09:55:46 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
My Pinewood Derby car (I only entered once was basically "block of pinewood with the front cut downwards at an angle and then given a psychedelic paint job". I completely lost in every category.

I think I used about this strategy for painting model rockets, too. However, in model rocketry it works, because the more fuck-ugly your rocket is, the less likely it is to explode, come down in the Lands Beyond, &c. I still have my final implementation of this theory, a beige-and-brown-with-red-nose-cone Big Bertha that I christened "World's Ugliest Rocket" and which never failed me.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 19, 2004, 10:15:49 pm
My only foray into that racing world was basically a brick with wheels. My dad was mostly useless in the carbuilding realm also.

It's funny how that works with rockets, too. I spent forever on an x-wing fighter rocket that trashed immediately. Tube-with-fins-and-nose-cone never failed. And the Estes catalog had hundreds of these with different shaped fins or different length of tube.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 10:40:07 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
That, or the sky ate it.


My brother and his friends and I spent a while building rockets. We starte when my parents got me a hot air balloon kit which we sent up majestically. Then we built a balloon which denied to accept the existence of Airspace regulations in the area. It failed and burnt up in the garden.
We did have a very succesful rocket launch that literally chased my brother around the field before disppearing off up the hill.
We had a few, actually, succesful launches too mind!
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: andalucia on May 19, 2004, 10:55:13 pm
I went to a science camp once that made me build rockets one year and a model car, perplexingly enough, the next.  I was quite unsure as to why I had to build the car's ENTIRE, TINY, USELESS ENGINE, piece by piece.
Fortunately, I spent every other day there making animated gifs and hiding from soccer games, so it wasn't so bad.  I still hate making Miniscule Accurate Plastic Things though.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2004, 10:59:49 pm
Quote from: "slink"
We had Weird Science so watered down over here.
We only got it really late, and even then it was four days away from Duckman, if they ever overlapped each other on a week to week basis at all.

It's like, living over here robbed me of so many things that could have been, like Weird Science and Duckman, nestling together in their rightful place.
And the early days of The Simpsons... Didn't get them 'til about '96.

Then how could you possibly understand all the jokes on Duckman about how the network constantly shafted them and they were nothing but Weird Science's bitch. There was even a crossover once.

And don't forget that the Simpsons you get now is watered down. Like the awesome scene where they bomb the giraffe + chips place on St. Patrick's Day.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 11:02:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

And don't forget that the Simpsons you get now is watered down. Like the awesome scene where they bomb the giraffe + chips place on St. Patrick's Day.


Yea, we do lsoe a few things. There are some we gain however. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I do notice that it goes both ways, when watching a non downloaded episode, to see whole new bits in.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2004, 11:09:57 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

And don't forget that the Simpsons you get now is watered down. Like the awesome scene where they bomb the giraffe + chips place on St. Patrick's Day.

Yea, we do lsoe a few things. There are some we gain however. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I do notice that it goes both ways, when watching a non downloaded episode, to see whole new bits in.

I believe they shower fewer commercials per hour over there so you do have fewer syndication cuts than we do. Of course they're all listed on snpp
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 11:24:46 pm
I'll believe it when I see it!
Though Simpsons is shown on BBC so there are no cuts in it at all. It's just 22 minutes or therebouts as is.
But Channel4 can pad out a 40 minute US show as 50, and Sky One just do it like over there.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: V-Adore on May 19, 2004, 11:46:51 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's funny how that works with rockets, too. I spent forever on an x-wing fighter rocket that trashed immediately. Tube-with-fins-and-nose-cone never failed. And the Estes catalog had hundreds of these with different shaped fins or different length of tube.

A friend of mine had the NASA-endorsed model rocket with a clear payload bay. I never entirely understood those; theoretically Science! was supposed to be involved, but in practice it appeared to be "place bugs in and see what happens!"

That rocket actually went up a few times successfully, although I don't think the ants ever made it back alive.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2004, 01:50:54 am
Quote from: "slink"
I'll believe it when I see it!
Though Simpsons is shown on BBC so there are no cuts in it at all. It's just 22 minutes or therebouts as is.
But Channel4 can pad out a 40 minute US show as 50, and Sky One just do it like over there.

http://www.simpsorama.com/
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2004, 03:08:50 am
I've never built a Pinewood Derby Car, but my mom has.  She builds one every year, for the church youth group she leads.  This years car was based on an art car she saw back around Christmas.  It's covered with little CD pieces.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8681-E500.jpg)

When the Art Car Parade rolled through a couple of weeks ago I took her out to meet the artist of the art car her derby car was based on.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/ART_CAR_PARADE_2004/IMAGES/MAIN_SQUEEZE/E500/DSCN9193-E500.jpg)

The car is called Twinkle, Twinkle Little Car.  Cute.

~Paul
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Nabubrush on May 20, 2004, 03:10:30 am
What'd you light that with, white phosphorous?
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2004, 03:12:39 am
Yeah, it's a little bright.

~Paul
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AugustWest on May 20, 2004, 04:38:50 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What'd you light that with, white phosphorous?


Pure thoughts, I think.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AugustWest on May 20, 2004, 04:40:13 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Again, proof that Paul has a camera surgically attached.

Very cool though.


I think it's most excellent that Paul's camera is surgically attached.  Once I get my camera, I'm getting the operation too.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Bozack on May 20, 2004, 05:44:17 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

I think it's most excellent that Paul's camera is surgically attached.  Once I get my camera, I'm getting the operation too.


Resistance is......you know.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Nabubrush on May 20, 2004, 02:22:16 pm
Im sorry . . . maybe that was a little strong. Anyway, I like how wherever the topic wanders to, Paul's got pictures.
Title: 350 Pound Man Cries Over Lost Racer
Post by: Howdy Moody on May 20, 2004, 07:26:57 pm
My buddy's dad was a dark-side junkyard owner in Houston.  A NASA engineer owed him a favor and built a pinewood derby racer for him.  It was tested in the wind tunnel, had wheels like razors, and probably had $100,000 worth of development time in it.
When the shop got broken into and $20,000 worth of tools were stolen, it was the missing pinewood derby racer that brougt him to tears.
H.M.
Title: Re: 350 Pound Man Cries Over Lost Racer
Post by: V-Adore on May 20, 2004, 08:44:03 pm
Quote from: "Howdy Moody"
My buddy's dad was a dark-side junkyard owner in Houston.  A NASA engineer owed him a favor and built a pinewood derby racer for him.  It was tested in the wind tunnel, had wheels like razors, and probably had $100,000 worth of development time in it.
When the shop got broken into and $20,000 worth of tools were stolen, it was the missing pinewood derby racer that brougt him to tears.
H.M.

That is an epic tragedy. Absolutely epic.

Shit, I think I might cry over that car.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: V-Adore on May 21, 2004, 12:16:46 am
A happy thought occurred to me this afternoon while fruitlessly laboring on a final paper:

Someone should totally make a Pinewood Derby car of Philippe's new car.

The "HERE COMES A HUGE FAG" horn would, of course, be strictly optional.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Bozack on May 21, 2004, 02:21:59 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The "HERE COMES A HUGE FAG" horn would, of course, be strictly optional.



Optional, yet somehow, completely NOT optional.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: St_Zartan on May 21, 2004, 04:48:33 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I will have to consider this concept.  Next Indian 500 is February.


Which is ample time to contact Rip "Caps Lock" (http://www.riptaylor.com/news.html) Taylor's agent (http://www.uniqueshowdesigns.com/RipTaylor/Agents-new.htm) to sign him on as the Master of Ceremonies.

Philippe-Mobile w/ custom honk; "Indian 500", gratuitous use of the word "derby": YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Nabubrush on May 24, 2004, 02:25:00 pm
So now this strip has a link, too.

"The 'Dual Wedge' car block - We did the hard part for you!"

How hard is that part, anyway?
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 24, 2004, 08:03:03 pm
I want to know what the 7 speed advantages in a block of wood are.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: Ben-San on May 24, 2004, 09:25:30 pm
At a guess.. aerodynamics of the carving, weight of the car, low friction of the axles, something about the wheels, magnet in the front attracting it to the other magnet you've cleverly hidden at the other end of the track, banana peels on the other cars' tracks, and red flames painted on the sides to make it go faster.
Title: It's EXACTLY like the Ferrari from Weird Science! - 5/19/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 24, 2004, 10:39:43 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
At a guess.. aerodynamics of the carving, weight of the car, low friction of the axles, something about the wheels, magnet in the front attracting it to the other magnet you've cleverly hidden at the other end of the track, banana peels on the other cars' tracks, and red flames painted on the sides to make it go faster.


It's a block of wood that claims 7 advantages prior to doing anything with it. No axles/wheels, no carving, nothing...in fact, the wedge shaped one (block of wood minus 1/3, made pointy) has 8 advantages - I assume the pointiness is the new, added advantave.