Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Harlock Hero

Pages: [1] 2
1
Achewood / Re: The Cure
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:25:05 pm »
I'm with oball on these matters, so I fully admit to liking The Cure (particularly Boys Don't Cry/Imaginary-era, then the Pornography-Disintegration-Bloodflowers "trilogy")(actually wearing a Cure shirt right now -_- ) AND Oasis (What's the Story (Morning Glory)? is just a damn solid album).

(Stackin' parenthetical asides three-deep since 1983.)

2
Achewood / Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »
nt

3
Achewood / Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »
That "hipster" thing wasn't really a serious suggestion; just something that occurred to me because the consensus seems to be that the GOF was the "peak" after which things never really recovered, and that arc also marked his boom in popularity.

The GOF was never my favorite, either. My fave strip might be the "Giant apocalyptic machinery... just mowing us all down" one.

4
Achewood / Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »
Are we now 'fessing up to the sentiment that we "liked Achewood when it was good, before it got popular?" Have we been made "hipsters" of?


(No offense to hipsters.)

5
Achewood / Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:10 pm »
Something tells me this is actually the last we ever see of this Nice Pete's van arc. Which I guess I'm okay with. I was still "interested" in knowing how it ended, but at 2-3 installments a month, fuck it.

6
Achewood / Please be so Promethean - 12 Aug 2010
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:52 pm »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08122010

I like how the Brisket36 Initiative involves the need for wisdom Known only to Mr. Bear. Perhaps this will shape up to be one of those "bring all the players together" arcs, despite my being just on the verge of losing hope (FOREVER)  prior to Roast Beef's arrival.

7
Achewood / Do you want to smoke... FOREVER?! April 23 2009
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:42:37 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04232009

Oregon sure isn't treating Onstad very well, is it?

This brand of paranoia is so spot-on; all assuming that people will discern dark secrets about you that they could only possibly discern if they knew all the details that you know (and they MUST, right? because what makes you so special that you'd have exclusive knowledge about anything at all; why, if you were THAT kind of person, you wouldn't be so base as to get into this situation in the FIRST place).

This was a good one to read today because I'm caught in a similar paranoid thought-loop regarding FINALS WEEK. Wish me luck.

8
Achewood / Re: WSJ post about Comic Sans with an Achewood reference
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:48:10 am »
Hobo Joe, are you from Arkansas?

I lived in Arkansas for one year and there was a "shaved ice" stand called Hobo Joe's where we all went on a field trip ((i.e. - we walked down the sidewalk to get there)) in fourth grade. The teacher made me get sugar-free banana for some reason.

Please tell me that you are the 90 year old owner of that shaved ice stand. I want to try the blueberry.

9
Science & Nature / Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:49:00 am »
I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months a few years back, and this was a daily requirement. I'm in the US, though, so the chant was the more traditional "Give me a W!" thing.

Two points to note:

1. When they get to the hyphen, they say "Give me a SQUIGGLY!!" "SQUIGGLY!!", and everyone has to wriggle suggestively.

2. After "Who's number one?" "Customer! Always!", you're supposed to do a fist pump and go "HOO-AH!!" like a Marine.

Just thought you'd like to know.

10
Achewood / 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:09:17 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192009

A Sunday update? Impossible to think of, but here it is.

I like how this is almost like a different side of Ray; at first you almost think he's about to just go off on Pat like he was talking to Marmaduke, just all Fuck You Sunday-style, but then it becomes more like an idealistic defense of his entire lifestyle. He seems more thoughtful here than usual? Is this what dry-steamin' will do for a man?

So, is Ray really on to something, or just grasping at straws to escape from the burden of having broken society's covenant? Also, what could Pat be wanting at 10:38 on a Sunday morning?

The most mysterious and question-raising strip of 2009 so far, I declare.

11
Sports & Leisure / Re: The Times of Manly Men Meals
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:30:35 am »
That's like saying I flunked all my classes the worst way possible, which is a rebellion against failing.

No it isn't.

I don't see the math that makes failing into winning.

I thought it said "I intend to revel and make merry" under your party-hat-wearing avatar? :(

12
Wild Card / Re: LOOK AT HIM! LOOK AT THE GENIUS!
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:23:13 am »

13:38 <@isosceles> plus imagine how awesome it will be to walk down the street
                with a beatboxing parrot on your shoulder
13:38 <@isosceles> i mean, seriously.


Indeed, that would bomb atomically.

13
Achewood / Re: The black oneiric frame.
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:13:09 pm »
Man, what is with "limn" among critics these days? ((No offense to you, Cioran, it's just that Kakutani more or less ruined the word for all time.))

14
Sports & Leisure / Re: The Times of Manly Men Meals
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
How do you eat this without getting it all over yourself? Or am I missing the point?

There are two schools of thought, really. Some people like to eat it via the "honest" method, just cramming it in the general direction of their face, hooting, hollering, etc. I (and maybe I'm not alone) prefer the "delusional" method, carefully cutting it up with a knife and fork into manageable, bite-sized pieces.

It's really a trade-off; what one approach affords you in cleanliness, it robs you of an equal sum of philosophical integrity.

15
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:23:42 am »
This is a "yes, it's too late to be involved", right?

Dang :(

Pages: [1] 2