Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - miles

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 231
1
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:03:00 pm »
Thanks Ash, that's helpful to hear.

2
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:31:54 am »
Thanks wombat, that's really helpful. I think I arrived there but I'm just craving like, validation or absolution or something.

We're going to talk to the oncologist again tomorrow. At this point it's just whether we want to get additional time with her and whether that's worth any risks.

3
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: July 02, 2021, 02:19:16 pm »
Is it reasonable to not want to put her through the surgery? Recovery might be really difficult, she has a heart murmur so the risk of putting her under anesthesia is at least a bit more difficult, and they said they won't be able to get all the cancer so it'll either spread or come back. Is it fair to her to just opt for chemo or palliative care? We're struggling with the decision.

4
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: July 01, 2021, 06:05:40 pm »
Thanks imaginary friends. Her appointment is in a couple hours. Hoping for the best, expecting the less than best.

Even with the most aggressive treatment (removal of her tonsil and lymph nodes plus chemo) they think at best we're buying some time. Usually 4-6 months but in her case they cautiously estimate 6-12 months. I just don't know. This sucks.

5
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 29, 2021, 02:38:16 pm »
Thanks imaginary friends. Her appointment is in a couple hours. Hoping for the best, expecting the less than best.

6
Did anyone move to Canada? My wife and I have talked about it. I'm basically worthless to them but my wife's profession is somewhat in demand there apparently so there might be a chance?

7
Arts & Entertainment / Re: What are you listening to?
« on: June 23, 2021, 04:54:58 am »
I can't remember if there are any other Low fans here but they just dropped a new song: https://youtu.be/d8QiSZRX8dA

Really excited for the new album.

8
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 23, 2021, 04:49:59 am »
Our vet called us last night to tell us our older dog probably has cancer. We take her to see a specialist on Tuesday but it doesn't sound promising. She's helped my wife and I get through a lot of shit. This hurts pretty bad.

She has a heart murmur that has remained stable so I thought we'd have her around for another couple years or so at least. I guess we might still but I'm trying to be realistic about the situation.

9
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Book Thread
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:13:48 am »
There hasn't been a new post in this thread for over five years. What's the best book you read in the past five years?

For me, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

10
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Bojack Hossman
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:08:38 am »
I still haven't finished it. I think I was afraid to watch the last season because I didn't want it to end. I might start over.

11
Arts & Entertainment / Re: What are you listening to?
« on: June 07, 2021, 07:48:50 am »
Metal. Lots of metal. The new Panopticon and Noctule albums are very good.

Also, Built to Spill, The Kinks, Fugazi and The Jesus Lizard.

Some things change, some things never change.

12
Achewood / Re: EMERGENCY PARTY
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:34:18 pm »
Damn server's gone down again right in the middle of my periodic reread. I take this very personally indeed

AS YOU SHOULD

14
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:34:15 am »
Keith what up! I'm a stay-at-home dad right now, have a two-year old little guy. After 12-13 years in financial services I was miserable so we decided we could survive on one income at least for a while. It's been pretty great for the most part. Glad to hear you're doing well.

What are you listening to these days?

15
People & Places / Re: Happy Birthday, Crazy Pug Lady!
« on: January 19, 2021, 07:10:43 pm »
Happy birthday wombat!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 231