Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - starlight

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
1
Arts & Entertainment / Re: The Soundtrack to Your Funeral
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:08 pm »
Hm... I always thought Sigur Ros would be nice...

Most likely I wouldn't really like a funeral.. just a cremation and sent off flying.. perhaps people could celebrate while eating pastries and listening to a soundtrack later.  hah.

2
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:25:13 am »
I'm listening to the new album right now... 'The Letting Go'.

So far, it's nice.  not blowing me away or anything, but the song 'Cursed Sleep' which I guess is the single is the best thus far.  second best is the opener 'Love Comes To Me'.

It comes out Sept. 19th.  I'll probably buy it.

3
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« on: June 26, 2006, 02:04:34 am »
I have a few bpb albums and really 'i see a darkness' is the best!

As for African music, though I'm unsure what it has to do with bpb.... I have a downloaded copy of this:  http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item.asp?Item_id=14&cd=BUSH-TAXI-MALI:-Field-Recordings-From-Mali

4
Arts & Entertainment / Re: MixDisc '06
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:27:33 am »
I know starlight won't find anything new there; hell, I think she introduced me to a couple of the artists via her illegal download-filled livejournal.

Aw.. hee!
The post I linked above* goes to an even more illegal downloadable livejournal ;D
I hardly post full albums in public lately.  someone who did a band's website finding my site put the fear in me!
[edit: above as in my last post on page 10... oops]

I did see some I don't have but have heard of.. I figure later I'll just put the songs I have in order and download the couple I don't have.. lazy right now though.. or more, I have a headache :\

---

As for the other discussion-
I used to find rapidshare intimidating, but once I got it to work okay, it's been decent since I can leave the site once it starts downloading.
The actual download didn't take long either.. I just got my own broadband/router thing hooked up though.. it went at least 130kb/s which is fine by me when I'm browsing websites :D

5
Arts & Entertainment / Re: MixDisc '06
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:59:59 pm »
I downloaded the Zart mix.. I know most those bands but not those songs weirdly.. heh.
Yay to Movietone!  they just aren't mentioned often enough.

[ETA:  yep, was quite good.  I'm a fan of shoegaze/britpop

Speaking of which, around the same time as downloading the mix, I downloaded this which semi-reminded me of shoegaze even if it is listed as post rock.. it's that guitar distortion I guess.. hah]

6
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Perfect length for a rock song?
« on: June 15, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »
I seem to be cool with songs in the 4 to 5 minute range lately.  I'd be more specific, but don't feel like rearranging my iTunes playlist by 'Time' to figure this out.

One thing I know is that songs over 8min begin to lose my attention; even post rock stuff... I'm constantly checking the clock to see how long it was playing.  how sad.

(There are exceptions, but I'm talking preference!
if it were a bad song, I wouldn't like it even if it were 10sec long)

7
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Mixdisc: Anglaudiophile [Judyisadickslap]
« on: June 11, 2006, 06:14:38 am »
Would that be the Mr. Hal Andalucia mix that our Bozack made, because that's where I got it.  That's right Judy, you chose the same song as Bozack.  You should wih a prize for that.

~Paul

Nope, I sadly missed out on that one :\
It was from someone I traded with in person a few years ago.

8
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Mixdisc: Anglaudiophile [Judyisadickslap]
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:16:28 am »
Yeah, I would comment if I had downloaded it too...
I do have a sketchy stolen wireless connection (shh... I just need a router and can get legit internet very soon), but that isn't the reason.  I just.... forgot.

From the setlist, I do know a few of the songs and many of the bands.. um yeah.. I can say, I may have liked this.
I ditto 'Golden Brown'.  a friend put that song on a mix long ago for me and it is still a favourite till this day.

9
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:09:20 am »
I'm pleasantly surprised by the Hot Chip album. Not sure if they're heard of over there or not.

Well, I know of them, but only 'cause of a london guy I know talking about them in '04.  I think everything they've done is brilliant :D
I just recently ordered the new album, but have had it on my HD for the past few months or so... also own a few of the singles.  I wish the bside on the one ('A Glue Too Thick') could be found online since I just have it on vinyl and don't have a way to transfer it to mp3.  bah.

10
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:20:04 pm »
Did Fox Confessor come out this year?  That may be the only new one i've heard this year.

~Paul

Yep, it came out around early March.

I think the best I've heard so far this year was the new Liars, Howling Bells, Hot Chip, Band of hosss, Neko Case, and Machinefabriek.
The Thom Yorke solo disappointed me a bit.. I'm just so tired of the weird electro stuff.. go back to guitars and rockin' damnit.
Recently I downloaded James Figurine (Postal Service / Dntel related) and that's growing on me, so it may make my end list.

11
Arts & Entertainment / Re: The first album you ever bought?
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:22:19 am »
On cassette or cd?

Honestly, I can't remember which cassette I bought... maybe Warren G - Regulate?  I was into rap around my early teens.. I distinctly recall being in Target holding it.  I'm not sure if I bought any before that myself.

Probably my first cd purchase was another weird rap album.  I wish I had been in another musical phase so this would be more interesting :D

12
Arts & Entertainment / Re: MixDisc '06
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:13:35 pm »
As promised: The Digital Version with added commentary!
So yeah, even if you did get a real copy of my mix, if you want to know the meaning I got from my own mix, you can go ahead and look, but if you'd rather not have it ruin your interpretation, don't. ;D

13
Hm.. I somehow missed out on this one, too and well, I like sad stuff.  I'll get to PM'in.
By Monday, I'm going to link my mix in digital form, by the way... since a friend I had sent it to got a crack in his disc, so yeah, if anyone missed out on mine, well, I'll prob. link it in the mix thread once it's up w/description.

14
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Comics
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:29:11 am »
I used to read around 40 back in the day before blogs and such took their place.

Now I just check achewood, Questionable Content, and Friendly Hostility / 5ideways (same artist / no spinoff) for the most part.  I think I'll start checking cat and girl which I'm glad I'm not the only one not already reading it.. once I saw that record collection shirt, I had to order it recently, so I figure if I have a shirt, I better at least halfway dedicate myself.. heh.

Now and then I'll check in with Toothpaste for Dinner and explodingdog, but it's been months recently.
For the record?  MegaTokyo was better in book format than online, but I only have vol.1.  I mostly read it since well, I was in my anime phase then.  I still like anime, but not enough to continue with that comic.

Also, I checked Ice now and then since I was dedicated to D101 before it ended, but now that's on hiatus.

15
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Top 5
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:14:17 am »
Lately, when it comes to rap, I mostly stick to anticon.  especially Why? and 13+God... I think when it comes to the latter, it's mostly 'cause The Notwist is a part of it.. hah.

I used to be a rap fiend in h.s. though.. I even made my own rap parody radio show with my cousin and another friend -- our dj names were masta lis (that was me; at the time I liked to go by Lisa which was weird since my name isn't even close to this), AK (an ak-47 sound clip would play as the opening) and Spanky (she was crazy; donkey kong country monkey noises was her opening) [still have it all on 4 cassette tapes in a drawer somewhere]... my favs at that time were 2pac, Warren G, Bone Thugs 'n' Harmony, Master P, Biggie, DJ Screw, Da Brat (Funkdafied!) and Too $hort (F*** my car).  some of it is still fun to return to in a joking way, but yeah, I tended towards ghetto 90's rap as can be seen, so I can't say most of it had much long term value..

Some was genuinely good for the time, but some I just bought for "cool factor" -- a boy I liked at the time who lived down the street was a wannabe gangster and he nodded in an approving way if I had the latest rap albums at his disposal while he'd hang playing video games while using my phone to call his other friends.  no, I don't know either.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22