Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - linnea

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 196
1
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »
I actually got to meet Jough! We went to Berghoff's in Chicago. It was great. The first TOUAMBie I met was jayelle, last Thanksgiving. So thirteen years and I've met two of you.

2
Achewood / Re: 15th April 2016 - I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:37:23 pm »
It's true, Emeril, chicks dig a guy with a low roundeyness factor to they mandible.

3
People & Places / Re: WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:47:26 am »
Nope, not British. Born and raised in the states.

Did you take the snowmobiles into yellowsrone? I really want to rent one and go on a midnight trip to a local hot springs. It is 10 miles down an unplowed road that is inaccessible to wheeled vehicles from November through June.

Yeah, Yellowstone and it was cold as hell. i was 16 and mad that my old man wouldn't let me drive the snowmachine. They call them snowmobiles in CO, since the AK I just call them snowmachines. I enjoyed it.

4
People & Places / Re: WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:36:37 am »
Trout, I thought you were British? Is that a Thing, or what? glad you're enjoying the skiing. I only ever got to go snowmachining in WY.

5
People & Places / Re: WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:43:07 pm »
Huh, I don't even remember that drawing. I must have been represented by the WHO CARES graphic.

6
People & Places / Re: WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:58 am »
I moved to a remote location and now I am returning to my homeland because I got a new job in my hometown. The move is stressing me out a little.

7
Achewood / Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:30 pm »
I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice. 

I read something in the Wired article that he really wanted to find someone else to do the voice. Found it, "DiGregorio voices Philippe while Onstad takes on Roast Beef himself, though he hopes find someone else to voice the character in the future." Apparently Huss is already a done deal for Ray, Onstad likes him that much.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the voice talent industry, but Onstad used professional talent and I'm pretty sure they would have been paid for the pitch. He is working with a Emmy-level producer, Josh Lieb, so I would imagine that if he brought his A-game and hired good talent for the pilot or test footage, the studio execs would be more receptive to picking him up. I would imagine the voice actors would get a contract if the show gets picked up, and if the show blows up they would be able to negotiate really high salaries for themselves like the voice talent for the Simpsons did.

8
Achewood / Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »
I had a hard time hearing Onstad, especially in the Toilet Party sketch. I hope they fix that when it goes to production. I know that Beef's character always speaks more quietly and mumbly than the others, but either subtitle it or clear it up a little.

Hiring a white voice actor like Huss to affect an African-American brogue is probably not going to go over well. Ray's voice is just too inconsistent and all over the place even in the five minutes of test footage. If Onstad wants Ray to sound black, they should hire black actors. I do think that Huss dialed it back a few notches in the mood-whiskey sketch, and I thought that was pretty good. I also agree that the tiny slices of Tina and Pat's voices were awesome.

9
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
Figuring out health plans is fuck*ng byzantine. Inev, call the number and the customer service people can help you. They should be able to mail or email you an "Explanation of benefits" that describes what is covered and not covered. The EOB will also explain how much the insurance will cover for each type of service, and any maximums or exclusions.

Customer Service should also be able to mail you a Provider Directory (or give you a web address to the online directory, if they have one) so you can figure out which providers are covered under their system. Obviously you want to avoid non-network doctors and facilities like the plague.


10
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:06:41 am »
JL, that is a really cute story about your kids. I have memories of visiting the hospital at age 3 to see my new baby sister.

I am SO GLAD that Tokyo baby is safe and OK. That is great news!

I'm just diving in to the moving thing. I got twenty-nine days and a sparsely inhabited apartment to vacate. Today I rounded up a bunch of shit that I think will sell, and tomorrow I'm going to sell it at a community garage sale.

11
Science & Nature / Re: Prescriptive grammar
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:56 pm »
It might actually be a good thing to do in an interview. According to that podcast studies show that women who use it are perceived as more successful.

I think the people that were polled were young college students. Since the old white guys seem to hate the hell out of vocal fry, maybe I ought to lay off it.

I listened to that podcast and still don't know what it is.  I don't particularly care though, so I have that going for me.

Did you hear when the little girl Ida did the upspeak, and then the lowered her voice to almost a growl? It's the lowering the voice and making it sound gruff/rumbly that is vocal fry.

12
Science & Nature / Re: Prescriptive grammar
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
Ever since listening to that podcast I can't not hear it. There was even someone on the radio yesterday, a reporter who was doing it.

Yeah, I agree, now that I know there's a name for it. Ever since I was a little girl, it seems like I have been surrounded by others who liked to do funny vocal sound effects everywhere, all the time. I figured that the vocal fry was just another sound effect to convey an additional layer of meaning. Now that I know how often I do it, I had better watch it, say during interviews. I never realized that people would take offense to it.

13
Science & Nature / Re: Prescriptive grammar
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:56 am »
i'm listening to it right now. before your post i hadn't ever heard the phrase "vocal fry" but damn if i didn't know exactly what it was as soon as i read it. i think i might have to listen to more of these.

I have never heard of "creaky voice" or "vocal fry" until now. I guess I never noticed it, but on recollection I do remember young women and girls doing it. It doesn't really bother me that much but maybe I've only been exposed to specimens who display minimum annoyance.

14
People & Places / Re: By-Jough!
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:17 am »
Wow! Congratulations. I don't have any fun twin-themed puns, sorry. Mazel Tov, Jough and Miss Lady plus two!

15
People & Places / Re: All Pugs Day
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:54:52 am »
omba, when I described your book and Lily's pug slippers picture to my friend in Denver, she knew EXACTLY what I was talking about, she loves your work, and she was so thrilled that I KNOW YOU!

Thanks for bringing so much awesomeness to us and the world, wombat. Happy birthday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 196