Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Islefrank

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:20 am »
I'm a pretty shallow Scrabble fan, but to me Beef's board suggests tournament-level nerdery. QI, QAT, and ZA are the three most statistically valuable words in Scrabble, and iconic plays; KA is also a common way to dump a point-laden but ugly letter. I don't know who knows ZINEB unless they're actively studying Scrabble words or are in a relevant field, which Beef is not.

He also knows his two-letter words, including TE, which isn't legal in North America (it is good under the larger SOWPODS dictionary used everywhere else). But I think that in Beef's fantasy, the U.S. has finally adopted SOWPODS, and I think he has a right to that fantasy.

He's also clearly burning the B on purpose -- maybe setting up a bingo, maybe deliberately clogging the board for his private pleasure.

(Everything Scrabble by Edley and Williams contains the anagram "UNBALANCED RACK = CAN EARN BAD LUCK," which is just one of the many Achewoodian things about the Scrabble world.)

2
Achewood / 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
« on: September 22, 2005, 12:07:49 am »
I bitched about Ray taking over Achewood for a long time, but not anymore. It was totally the blogs that did it-- Ray's party stories are solid God damn gold, and finally made me get why I should care about this guy.

That said, I still like Ray best when he's reacting to someone else's manipulations-- he puts his own flair into it in a way that Beef, for example, does not. (Conversely Beef is more interesting when he's the one putting events into motion.) He is the perfect person to stick into the big Gothic nightmare plots (Hell/Ice Cream Parlor) because they don't tend to overwhelm his personality, and thus the plot will feel like Achewood, rather than a cool story Onstad thought up which happens to feature an Achewood character.

And now my account is saved.

Pages: [1]