Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Jay!

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / Grappa - 11/22/2004
« on: November 22, 2004, 04:44:10 pm »
I guess that not shooting Beef has rescued Pat from being tried for the same crime twice, and therefore starring in a terrible Sean Connery film.

And I think the roller skate is thematically significant:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09162002

2
Achewood / 11/18/04 - 1938 Enos Slaughter Rookie Card
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:28:19 am »
I have attempted to create a new thread in keeping with the customs and practices of this messageboard.

The first post in a new strip thread was tempting, like a beautifully-wrapped and mysteriously-scented package, and I was unable to resist it.

So, I guess my big question on this strip is:  is Beef's speech pattern in the last panel representative of a return to his normal reticence, or has he crossed through his anger into an open plateau of matter-of-fact badassedness?

3
Achewood / 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
« on: November 17, 2004, 07:25:33 pm »
I haven't been around in a while (began to feel like a bit of a whelp), but when I saw this strip, I knew I had to comment.

It's beautiful, you're all beautiful, I love you all, I'm glad Beef has decided to become a man, etc.

Now I'm going to go back to having fever dreams.

4
History / More Bush
« on: November 04, 2004, 12:54:13 am »
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Wow, were you at the ESPN board yesterday too? Because there were some certifiable folks there who were just all bent out of shape because California has 55 electoral votes, and they thought the state should secede or be broken up into several smaller states.


No, I thankfully avoided the ESPN messageboard the whole time.  And the California secession thing was a joke; the idea (surprisingly) gets tossed around a bit, but I don't think anyone takes it seriously.

Besides which, were these people actually complaining that California has too much power?  Californians have proporionately less voting power per person than residents of, say, Wyoming or Alabama, who get a stronger boost from their two senate-based electoral college votes.

5
History / More Bush
« on: November 04, 2004, 12:07:55 am »
Quote from: "jough"
More young people were registering to vote, but republicans were using legal pressure to make sure that they couldn't vote once they got to the polls.

Also, there was some new legislation last year making it harder for college students to get absentee ballots from their home states.

Bear in mind that young people tend to vote on the left.


I'm a college student.  I'm registered to vote in Southern California, but I go to school in Northern California.  I had been told by the office of the chancellor of my university that I could vote here in the county superior courthouse in Oakland; when I got there, I was told that that information had been distributed incorrectly, and I wasn't allowed to vote.

So, er, yeah. Go America.

Oh, and I spent last night wondering what they're going to call the whiskey they name after me when I die in the civil war.  Long live California secession!

6
Achewood / The affirmative action archipelago - 26 Oct '04
« on: October 26, 2004, 11:53:32 pm »
I am fairly certain that, one of these days, Yngwie Malmsteen is going to drive a car over Dick Dale.

7
People & Places / Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:55:33 pm »
I just wanted to say that I love you.  I love you for talking about Nitzer Ebb.  This forum rocks so hard.

8
Achewood / Libraries Where People Fuck - 25 October 2004
« on: October 25, 2004, 05:51:51 pm »
I think that I should mention at this point that we have tragically overlooked French Guiana.

I would put my name behind any film starring French Guiana.

9
Arts & Entertainment / Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« on: October 23, 2004, 08:53:22 am »
I guess I'm getting to this thread a little late, but I'd like to mention that I did just see the Pixies in concert.  The played at the Greek Theater outside my dorm room and they rocked so hard that it is difficult to comprehend, let alone describe.

I also saw them at Coachella, and they did a lot of rocking there too, albeit for a lesser period of time.  Plus, I was kind of waiting for Radiohead and standing on one of my best friends, so I enjoyed them less.

10
People & Places / Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« on: October 23, 2004, 01:58:24 am »
Damn.

It just so happens that those are my favorite themes.

But anyway, it's been a very enjoyable discussion, this... name thing.  And I really don't see why a forum that is inherently off-topic should have to stay focused.

11
People & Places / Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:01:43 pm »
Yeah, it's not so much "scared off" as it is "eight hours of computer labs to finish".

Um, let's see... yes, Jay is my full first name.  I was very nearly named Jedidiah (crazy cowboy parents from Wyoming), but they settled on something more mainstream as a sort of advance gift to me.  The exclamation point is not on my birth certificate, unfortunately, but I do plan on naming my child "Godspeed!"

Oh, and thank you so much for the enthusiastic response.  Man, wasn't expecting... 21 posts in one day o_O

12
People & Places / Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:37:20 am »
Hi.  I have just joined this forum.

I have been reading Achewood for a couple of years now (since after it had been going for about a year, I think), and it is something that I enjoy more than I enjoy most things.

I have been lurking on this board for about a week now, and I thought it was time to join.

I have never been a part of a forum before.  If this post was uncouth, I'm really sorry, but I thought it would be friendly to give my greetings to people.

I once e-mailed Chris Onstad.  He didn't respond.  It may be because I go to Berkeley, and he went to Stanford, but I'm not certain.

Pages: [1]