Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - satchel

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
1
History / Phat slang in the new Merriam-Webster.
« on: September 18, 2003, 08:07:12 pm »
The Eleventh Edition of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary will include the word ‘phat,’ plus add new meanings for ‘avatar’ (yes, the message-board kind) and ‘goth’ (the blackclad, morbid kind).

2
Wild Card / position
« on: September 18, 2003, 08:00:50 pm »
Here in my cubicle I am contorting my own skinny arms into the postitions described. It must seem a strange semaphore.

3
Arts & Entertainment / communique
« on: September 18, 2003, 07:53:05 pm »
I have a ravenous eye peeled for any sign of online comic coolness manifested by any one in any way around here.

4
People & Places / per month
« on: September 18, 2003, 07:46:02 pm »
A one-month cutoff is a little harsh. I have binges that last that long. How about two or three months?

5
Arts & Entertainment / perspective
« on: September 17, 2003, 01:37:16 am »
It’s interesting to hear the different perceptions. I would have thought the loss of Cash dwarfed that of Ritter. But it does depend on our individual feelings. One is music, the other is television and film, though Cash also had his t.v. shows. They were both humble. Cash performed at prisons, and made number-one albums of those concerts.

The sacred and profane collide harmoniously within the world of country-western music. ...stars like...Johnny Cash...—Roy Peter Clark

6
History / Have you ever read Steve Martin?
« on: September 16, 2003, 09:58:52 pm »
My copy of Cruel Shoes (1977) by Steve Martin just arrived. Sample story (obviously reprinted here illegally):

Shuckin’ the Jive
The crazy bastards were going down to the pool hall to play a little pinball when their car exploded blowing everyone to smithereens. Some of Tubby’s flesh flew off by the side of the road, and in time nourished a sunflower growing there. Soon the sunflower was eaten by a hoss and the hoss was eaten by some hobos out for a wild time. Then one of the hobos met an eastward wandering Canadian guru. But before anything significant happened the hobo died, attacked by a heart-dog in a scientist’s laboratory. The death was listed as a heart attack. Then slavery was abolished.

Conclusion:
Grandpa died and was resurrected after three days, but no one called him the Son of God; they just said, “Hey, that’s Gramps!”

7
Wild Card / In which position do you sleep?
« on: September 16, 2003, 09:32:14 pm »
This article on sleeping positions interested me. I sleep on my stomach, and have for the last twenty years; according to the article, that’s the most rare position. If I sleep on my back I get weird(er) dreams.

In which position do you sleep?

8
People & Places / where
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:51:48 pm »
I wondered where those twenty-or-so members went. I looked at the membership total, and I knew we had recently cracked 100. Then when I saw our total at about 85, I wondered what had happened. I thought I had confused this board with some other that has 100 members.

9
Sports & Leisure / games
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:47:37 pm »
There are dozens of good, free, old school games at The Underdogs.

10
Arts & Entertainment / Cash and Ritter
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:42:58 pm »
If you’d lost track of the recent Cash, I’d recommend Unchained or American IV to acquaint you. He was a giant. “Who is the best musician to come from Arkansas?” is a common question down here, and someone always thinks they’ve won the contest when they say “Al Green.” Then someone else trumps them with “Johnny Cash.”

I liked Ritter too. He was a good actor. Three’s Company charmed me during my childhood, and it was educational for a young boy destined for bachelorhood.

11
Wild Card / drink drank
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:12:58 pm »
Quote from: "jough"
...usually I try not to drink unless I'm around people I can trust.


This seems a policy born of hard experience, or careful foresight.

12
History / chemist
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:06:35 pm »
I first read this thread and was assaulted by so many memories of past stupidity that I was debilitated. I’ve pulled the ‘forgot to use the parking brake’ a couple of times myself, once with car damage and once, miraculously, without. But one thing sticks out as completely retarded (

When I was sixteen, I opened a bottle of hydrochloric acid by biting the stopper and pulling it out with my teeth. The acid got on my two bottom front teeth and ate out their interiors. So I had a couple of half-hollow lower front teeth that lasted a little while (over a year actually) but eventually broke into pieces.

13
Achewood / have you seen it? tell me, have you seen it?
« on: September 13, 2003, 01:33:09 am »

14
Achewood / About the movie
« on: September 12, 2003, 02:31:51 am »
Was the old Achewood forum embarassing Onstad when celebrities visited his site? Is that why he squelched it?

Prithee ‘nay.’

Those same celebrities might have found the Achewood forum anyway and are here posting!

15
Achewood / move
« on: September 12, 2003, 01:16:32 am »
Chris did say the movie’s writer is an Achewood patron. In the picture the fellow had on the Téodor Clash t-shirt. I wonder what the circumstances are? Did the fellow order the shirt himself? Did someone give it to him? Is this hunk a personal friend of Chris?

I read the Onion review of Cabin Fever, which didn’t sound worth seeing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8