Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - theinevitable

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 709
1
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 04, 2026, 12:33:16 pm »
In a classic InEv story, there’s a woman on my block who had a baby at the same time as us… who I knew in high school back when I first started posting on the board. She is from Kansas but was childhood friends with my high school friend and we used to be in group AOL Instant Messaging chats. It is a 100% coincidence that we live on the same block, although I did recognize her building when we looked at our apartment.

This is relevant because I discovered she has all the achewood books and says she and her husband have loved it since high school. I have to have introduced her to it, right?

She said she didn’t know he was making new ones, either.

This may make me sound like someone from my parents’ generation, but if I never heard about this and nobody I follow online has ever mentioned this, how good could they be?

2
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: August 02, 2021, 11:01:52 pm »
Arlo has made a ton of progress! He was very good for the dog sitter— she said she shed a tear when she said bye to him (she was not a professional, she is a friend who walks dogs for extra cash). He is learning a lot of tricks. Still crazy on walks, but improving.

The big news is we inadvertently let him meet a big group of dogs at the park (we let him greet one other dog and a play group from across the field walked over to us) and he was pretty well behaved. He got a little hyper but everyone was having a fun time. We led him away after just a few minutes… we figure a little at a time is best.

3
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:10:04 pm »
Figured out how to upload some pictures. https://imgur.com/a/QQreWcG

Right now we are in a pickle. He was initially fine with being crated sometimes but now he hates it— like full panic trying to dig his way out and expressing his scent glands until the whole apartment stinks level of bad. So we are starting over very slowly, trying to get him to spend time in there with the door open by putting a lick mat in there, etc. The problem is, we are not sure how he’d do home alone with access to the full apartment, and we are going on vacation in a week. A friend will be dog/house  sitting but I’m nervous because obviously she needs to be able to leave sometimes, even if she works from here. Of course, every boarding place we have checked so far is booked up, although I can keep looking for a place between here and where we are going in NC (my parents rented a beach house which doesn’t allow dogs)

1. Only two rooms in our apartment have doors, the bathroom and our bedroom. Which is full of :o vintage furniture my GF got from family
2. We tried putting up a baby gate in the hallway, so that he was limited to the hall and the kitchen. Kitchen cabinets were secured closed, he had water and a distracting snack and a bone to chew on, his bed was in there, etc. After a few minutes he got bored and jumped right over the gate. The next day we tried again after zip-tying some panels on top to make the gate 42”… and he jumped it again.

We are just not sure how he’d be if he had free reign of the living room/ kitchen / hallway… even if we move the plants behind a door, I’m nervous he’d find something weird to eat or gnaw on out of boredom.

4
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 23, 2021, 03:24:39 pm »
Very sorry to hear this miles.

5
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:39:58 pm »
Good to know about the heatstroke. We are working on doing quick bathroom break walks but right now he’s content to walk pretty far before deciding he might need to pee. Lately even on not-very-hot days he decides to lie down on the ground sometimes. Not totally sure what he’s getting out of that.

And yes the sidewalk food is out of control. It feels like every 10 feet I hear him chewing something suddenly, especially at night when I can’t see things and steer him away before we get there.

6
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 06, 2021, 04:57:04 am »
Yikes. (Spoiler dog is fine). Today he was sniffing along a fence and discovered a half-full cup of mixed nuts and ate a big mouthful before I yanked him back (we have not gotten to “leave it.”) a little later he sat down in the shade and didn’t want to move, but then eventually got back into it. I didn’t think twice about it at the time.

A few hours later my GF took him on another walk and called me half an hour later saying “we’re stuck a few blocks away, he sat down and won’t move.” I ran towards there and happily he was excited to see me coming his way and jumped up and followed me home. When we got home he was REALLY hot and a few minutes later he was still panting really hard. I googled “dog panting fast” and of course immediately realized that OF COURSE, why would anyone leave snacks sitting out on the sidewalk unless they were full of rat poison (it’s a big weird semi-vacant lot that people park in).  Went into complete panic mode, burst into tears, that whole thing. I decided I would call the emergency vet if he hadn’t chilled out in 5 minutes and applied wet towels, an ice cube wrapped in a kitchen towel for him to lick, and pointed our big fan at him. 10 minutes later he was totally back to normal and begging for dinner.

7
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: June 02, 2021, 06:07:09 pm »
That’s a good idea!

We also started tying his leash to the coffee table when we play. We do tug of war until he nips us and then we step back a few steps. Part of the problem before is that he did not seem to realize we were upset/refusing to play, because he could just keep chasing us and biting us. Now he seems to get it! He sometimes opens his mouth and lunges for us and catches himself halfway and stops. Also having success with distracting him (asking him to sit/shake/lie down) when he gets too excited and seems on the verge of getting into hyper mode.

He’s so fuck*ng sweet. I feel bad because he is really stressing my GF out but I am getting nothing but good mammal feelings. She was the one who wanted a dog!


8
Science & Nature / Re: Aminals
« on: May 29, 2021, 06:35:24 pm »
We have adopted a very good dog with one enormous problem. At certain times he decides that he wants to play, and that the way to get us to play is to bite us over and over, grab our sleeves and #####, etc. He has drawn blood and given us bruises but seems totally unaware that we are in distress and is still panting happily and following us as we flee. We have tried more exercise, less exercise, distracting with chew toys, distracting with food, and separating him from us physically to show that when you play rough you don’t get to play. Everything works briefly but does not prevent future biting. Just now after an hour of chill chewing on his chew toy and getting petted he lunged straight for my crotch and grazed my cojones with his teeth. The gutteral scream I let out made him jump back, and then he was right back to lunging at my legs and arms.

The thing is, every other moment of the day he’s very good. Attentive (until he gets into frenzy mode), a pretty good leash walker, very food motivated and interested in learning what to do to get treats. He gets a little frantic and barky when he sees other dogs, but we have had success with getting him to focus on us and ignore the dogs in exchange for treats (we get him to sit or lie down repeatedly while praising him and petting him). The internet seems to say this is the first step— learning that when we see another dog it is good, and that we should be calm and pay attention to Dad.

We are working on learning what the clicker means and his name (Arlo). During the day when we are working he chews a toy or naps or lazes around the apartment. He’s very easygoing about being touched, letting us touch his paws and stomach and face and whatever else (I read we should do this to desensitize him for when we need to trim fur and nails). He has never snarled or growled or bitten in an aggressive way— only trying to play.

Working through a few dog training books. I read Other End of the Leash which I really liked, and we are starting the exercises from The Power of Positive Dog Training. Interestingly, we posted about this on the Facebook group for the rescue we got him from, and his foster mom says he only did biting/crazy zoomies ONCE in the 3 months he lived with her. What the heck?

He’s also incredibly handsome. I feel like a dumb millennial because I can’t remember how to post a picture on here, I guess I have to host it elsewhere?

9
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: February 07, 2021, 08:11:12 pm »
Yup it’s ridiculously difficult from what I’ve heard.

10
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »
It turns out maybe contact tracing during a pandemic is not a chill way to do your first techie job. Mostly 50-60 hour weeks and intermittent 70 hour ones in the past couple months. The good news is I get overtime so I’m getting biweekly paychecks that are more than what I used to make in a month.

Also we’re getting a dog. No leads yet but finally got written permission from the landlord. He’s a real piece of work but after some tense phone calls the leaks in our ceiling are fixed and the heat is on so I’m good. Maybe Suspiciously Large Apartment in Brooklyn is a hint that some struggles are coming. It’s cute but sometimes hard not to think about how in Philly or Chicago we could have a way nicer place for a lot less $$$.

11
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: October 19, 2020, 07:33:02 pm »
It is really weird vibes in NYC, I feel like a lot of transplants in the city have lost our Cool New Yorker skills. I keep making PROLONGED EYE CONTACT with cute ladies in public, and this weekend I got lost on the subway and showed up somewhere over an hour late. I got on a train going fully the wrong way and then impulsively got on the wrong train again when I tried to get back on track.

The best part of the new apartment in terms of daily lifestyle, other than Living With The Woman I Love And No Roommates, is my guitar/amp are within arms reach from my desk. So I can just pick my guitar up and noodle while I'm thinking about something, strum chords while I'm watching youtube videos or reading twitter, whatever. I feel like I've played more in the last 2 months than the past several years. But it's really making me crave New Guitar Junk once I get that first fatttt paycheck.

12
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:46:13 pm »
Moved in with the GF and it's going very well. We got a huge-for-NYC place (I measured and had to laugh, it's 700 square feet) about half a mile east of my previous apartment. I have a little office in the front which feels like an insane luxury after a decade of 100 square foot bedrooms.

Also, just got offered a Real Tech Job as a data engineer for the city's public health efforts. With an almost 40% pay increase. It turns out having to do tons of stuff that isn't in your job description can really pay off if you pull it off. Now to see if I can actually pull THIS off or if I crash and burn.

I also see Bozack all the time. I introduced myself once when I recognized him but since then I have just glimpsed him around Brooklyn 2 or 3 times. Isn't this supposed to be a big city? One time I came around a corner and he was coming right at me with his full family like a damn Cute Kid Parade.

13
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:01 pm »
This census job has been totally wild. Unfortunately we will lose our funding in September and the entire country is in an economic meltdown. Concerned about the job search.
The good news is that I have basically been the "any task requiring a computer" person at this job, so my resume entry is immense. Making maps, making websites, writing code to run servers, troubleshooting people's excel sheets... everything. Right now I'm writing the maximalist version and then I'll get a friend from work (who does a lot of tech-person hiring) to help me edit it down.

Brooklyn this summer is intense. I guess everyone got the memo that doing things outside is relatively safe, so everyone is out on their stoops, grilling, shooting off fireworks, etc. The GF and I are looking for a one bedroom place and it seems that pickings are good. Everyone's desperate to rent out apartments that have been vacant for months.

14
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:28:15 pm »
Wow!

Crazy thing today: someone from my programming program just posted that they're leaving their apartment and they wonder if any of us want to take over the lease. It's the same rent as my current place, in a way "nicer" (more central, better transit, near better grocery stores, etc) neighborhood in Brooklyn, with way bigger bedrooms.

The catches:
- moving sucks
- I'd have to find a roommate, although I'm sure someone I know will leap at the chance
- It's actually a 3 bedroom... the way they made the rent so cheap is that they subleased the third, small bedroom out three months at a time to people attending our program from out of state.
- my girlfriend lives 2 blocks from my current place...

15
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: April 28, 2019, 05:28:54 pm »
Very weird job situation. My old boss (the better of the two, but he was still telling me I seem unhappy and should pursue other interests) sent my resume to people hiring for a job at the mayor's office. It's an 18 month contract to work on data stuff for Census outreach, which is pretty relevant to my old job. I had an interview and it was really odd... it felt like they were trying to convince me to take the job, rather than me trying to convince them to hire me.

On the one hand, I would have been really excited about this job a year ago. It would be a pretty high-profile job for a data person, it pays more than my old job, and my data analysis would be helping direct millions of dollars in media buys (?!?!?!). I could spend this year continuing to practice programming stuff on the side and be in a better position to find something when I'm done. Maybe I could even find a way to use some of my new programming skills-- like making interactive displays or creating databases for our work.

On the other hand, I think I could go the rest of my life without looking at another spreadsheet. The old bosses, for all of the things they were wrong about, were definitely right that I was not happy doing that work. And frankly, I do not think I am very good at it. I don't think experience doing more Excel spreadsheets really adds anything to my resume, and I don't know if doing it at the mayor's office matters to anyone outside of government.

Maybe an underlying part of my personality here is that I lose interest in things once I move past the beginner stage. Learning new things and feeling a whole new field open up is really energizing to me. I think that's part of why programming is so appealing, each new problem I face involves learning new tools and techniques, reading lots of documentation, etc. Based on the program I did I think this mindset is common to a lot of programmers, people see new challenges and learning new technologies as a perk of moving jobs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 709