Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - thedudeabides85

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
1
People & Places / Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« on: November 24, 2006, 08:09:36 pm »
On the way to dinner at my cousin's house, I'm pretty sure I saw monkey roadkill.  This was in NJ, not like Western Africa.

Also, this seems to be the thread for me to recount my own tryptophan dream:

I carry a severed head unto a crowded train whose seating and lighting give the carriage the feel of a Victorian living room.  I hold the head up, letting blood drip from where its neck should be, and read a particularly gory version of the Principia Discordia, with annotations from Achewood characters.  The head reacts to the reading.  Hail Eris.  I am traveling with two A/V specialists, one of whom seems to be perpetually napping, and wakes up periodically to hear about the specifics of the next job.  The job seems to always be the same, regardless of where we are; it involves relocating a cable.  I am somehow tricked into both appendicitis and an undisclosed dental injury, which requires surgery from a group of college students at what is apparently a tennis academy.  A girl I had been eating lunch with turns out to be the nurse, and comforts me before I am given anesthesia.  She kisses me on the neck very nicely.  As soon as I am unconscious, the team of doctors takes out a battalion of enormous foam props (e.g. foam hammer), and rejoices in having tricked me into an ineffective and possibly hellish surgery.  It occurs to me I can observe these doctors/frat boy clowns because I assumed the role of a camera angle, immediately after the anesthesia had been administered.  I escape the surgery, and am now possibly one of the A/V specialists, and describe very earnestly how, “Yep, you guessed it, a cable needs to be moved.”  I am now in a corridor in what’s supposedly Madison Square Garden, watching maybe Brendan Shanahan shoot a puck at a door from 5 feet away, the completion of which task elicits enormous applause.  Former Rangers announcer John Davidson is there.  Does he represent God?

What does it all mean?  I usually just dream about talking with my friends, and sometimes I put music on if I remember to.  The cool thing about listening to music in your dreams is that the album you need just appears in your hand.  Like I'll think, "I want the Japanese version of Purple Rain on vinyl," and I'll be holding it. 

2
Arts & Entertainment / Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:58:06 pm »
Yeah I was just joking, actually.  I'd been under the impression they only released one album; I've supplemented whatever time I used to spend keeping up with mainstream music with afternoons of Quantum Leap reruns in HD.

I don't mean to diss on Chris Cornell though. His songwriting's become kinda vacuous, but that boy has chops.  Yes I'm an 80 year old black man from the South; I can say that people "have chops."

3
Arts & Entertainment / Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:10:22 am »
I'm really looking to get into Audioslave.  Any recommendations?

4
Achewood / Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:17:50 pm »
I would just like to weigh in, agreeing that most of the people who claim to have photographic memories are either lying or do not know what the hell they mean by a photographic memory. I honestly think that some people believe that it means they think in pictures as, I am told, most people actually do. Which has nothing to do with memory.

I'm told I'm weird because I think in typed words and spoken words and not in images, parenthetically. It seems most people do not think this way! It aids in being able to describe completely awful things without picturing them and grossing out others for fun and profit.

"Eidetic memory" is the more precise and less misleading term for "photographic memory."  I know I got it cause I memorized the names of all the people with eidetic memory in the Wikipedia article.  Look: Mozart, Nikola Tesla, John of Gorze.  Oh, I could go on.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone thinks in mentalese, which I suppose is like Esperanto.

5
Achewood / Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:38:53 am »
Current toddler status, 10/25: To her, playing soccer means yelling “SOCCER!” at a soccer ball. The apple does not fall far from the tree.


6
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:22:41 am »
He's playing at Carnegie Hall twice in February.

7
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:18:45 am »
This is very specific, but the last 2:15 of 'Found A Job' by Talking Heads on the The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads album.

Good call but wouldn't you prefer grooving on the video version from Stop Making Sense, where the guitarist is just acting a fool with those two backup singers?  I went to a party once where someone was playing the DVD on surround sound speakers, and there were nachos too, and it was the best party.  Unfortunately, some guy approached everyone individually and would mime playing bass and say "Who am I? Who am I? Say who I am!" until you told him he was Tina Weymouth.  It was kind of like "I got to imitate Tina Weymouth, dude!  There comes a time!"

8
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:35:46 am »
So, Dude, is this a hypothetical question or are you pulling some kind of real life scheme?

I'm always scheming to dry hump something, but I was just making a party mix on itunes and it made me curious about what others think is essential to the boogie.

SPEAKING OF DRY HUMPING, I'd advise you all to check out the "frottage" column on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frottage).  It's got pretty vital information on the "Ivy League Rub" and also axillary intercourse, which is apparently doing it with someone's armpit.  It gave me the idea for maxillary intercourse, in which the c*ck lines the inner jaw and the recipient is advised against eating solid foods for a month.  I'm saving marriages here.

9
Arts & Entertainment / Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:32:45 am »
If you were DJing a party, and had just 15 minutes in which to get everybody dancing and convince a discerning woman (or man) of your ear for music, what songs do you play.  I'd go with:

David Bowie - Fashion (4:51)
Talking Heads - Life During Wartime (3:41)
LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations (4:58)

I would spend the remaining time either doing the ***** (automaton) or dry-humping the discerning woman (or man) I have no doubt impressed.

10
Achewood / Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:57:10 am »
Current toddler status, 7/05: My little girl has, without human interference, grown the hairstyle of Gene Clark circa 1965. Maybe there is a God.

11
Sports & Leisure / Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« on: June 18, 2006, 01:44:57 am »
For Father's Day, I'll finally let my dad know that disclosing my homosexuality was just an April Fools gag.  It's been a difficult 3 months of wearing nothing but capris.

12
People & Places / Re: Dying
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:39:00 am »
William S. Burroughs did not lead a healthy lifestyle.  He is not a suitable role model for this thread.

~Paul

Paul I will disagree, if you are referring mostly to the man's taste for the junk (oh hell of nice, double entendre).  Heroin is a remarkably innocuous drug if the user can eliminate the potential for impurity (which dramatically reduces the likelihood of overdose because the drug can be measured accurately).  Heroin junkies who can eat enough to survive and procure the drug through safe means often live incredibly long and productive lives.  Take Bill, for example, who lived well into his 80s or his deviant mentor Herbert Huncke, who died a decade ago at 91 (and continued to shoot up regularly through his final years).  Heroin addiction curbs ones appetite for food and sex -- it makes a person an entirely sedentary creature, almost like a plant (I think there's a lot about this in the chapter of Junk that was appended after its initial publishing).  Its effect reminds me of an experiment I was reading about in which researchers kept breeding long-living fruit flies until after a few generations they managed to triple the lifespan of this particular species.  The resultant methuselah flies would live well long but they would eat very little and refuse to mate with each other.  Apparently the key to long life is to eat like a thousand calories or less, never to bump uglies, and generally to limit your activities to urination and opiate ingestion.  Hope I saved a life, peace.

13
Achewood / Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:17:35 am »
   
Current toddler status, 6/15: On Saturday we are going to see Otto the Clown 'Copter, who apparently has a 75 lb. functioning yo-yo.

14
Achewood / Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:45 am »
I hope the french fry bit reignites the speculation as to whether he's fat.

15
Arts & Entertainment / Re: X-Men TBP for newbie
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:29:06 am »
Definitely read Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men (it's collected into 7 TPB's, most of which should be available at a good library).  Compared with the films, Morrison's work is an order of magnitude more sophisticated and interesting, etc., and though his approach is a bit nontraditionalist, the only thing sacrificed is the two-dimensionality of the characters and the vacancy of the dialogue.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4