Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - weareas1

Pages: [1] 2
1
I'll have to say that today's strip made me happy, even though it took him forever to post it ("over the weekend"??  "Strips and flows aplenty???"  Geez, now he's torturing us.) because, as far as I know, it's the first Achewood that ever mentioned Oingo Boingo.  This makes me happy because I was a member of Boingo during the peak of their career in the 80's.  However, I thought if anyone in Acheworld had some Boingo records, it would be Pat -- right between his Cure and Robert Fripp albums.  And of course Ray would tell him "It is silly to like Oingo Boingo, Pat."  And he would be right.  Nevertheless, it's still fun for me to see that band name come up in pop culture (especially in my favorite talking cat free entertainment), even if only as the punchline to a joke, as it invariably always were.  I wonder if that LP has my autograph on it?  I did sign an awful lot of album covers for nervous, awkward teenagers back then.  I don't remember any of them being cartoon bear teenagers, though.

And yes, Teodor is a little unclear on the concept.  He thinks garage sales operate under lazy stoner dude hours.  In his mind, 9AM seemed plenty early enough. Too early, actually.

2
Nice to see the Tenmen showing up at the wing-ding.  I hope they played their fuzzed-out version of the Capenters' "We've only just begun" for the first dance.  However, for a band for whom "even the drum is a Rickenbacker", don't you think they should be playing through Rickenbacker amps?  In particular, Rick made an amazingly futuristic (for 1968, that is) amp called the Transonic.  Its strange trapezoidal stying and ultra-jangly solid-state tone would have been perfect for the three Men of Ten.  There's probably never been a cooler looking guitar amp, and they're rare as HELL.  C'mon, Onstad, guitar geeks are paying attention...

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_image.asp?archive_id=898&gallery_year=1960


3
Achewood / Re: March 11, 2008 - A bit of remorse and reflection
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:34:18 pm »
A perfect illustration of Ray's personality.  He makes a big symbolic show of how sorry he is for making Beef endure Disneyland by flying (first class, no doubt) to some remote village in England and staying in a quaint moss-covered shack.  Oh, the anguish he must feel!  Sending handwritten letters back to the states chronicling his journey into The Dark Night Of The Soul.  Just like Edgar frickin' Allan frickin' Poe, dude!  But his letters betray his true, self-centered, scatter-brained, narcissistic nature.  Ray is, as usual, all hat, no cattle.

This brings up an interesting topic -- who in Achewood has the most tragically flawed personality?  Who is the least flawed?  In terms of "most tragically flawed", in what order would you rank the top (bottom?) five?

P.S. -- A friend of mine (and fellow Achewood aficionado),  just IM'd me, "maybe Ray is all cat, no hattle."

4
Achewood / A husky latino with bad news and bedroom eyes. March 10, 08
« on: March 11, 2008, 04:51:30 am »
Did Onstad take the fam to Disneyland recently?  He said he's "on the road"...

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102008

5
Achewood / Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:54:53 am »
"It's very similar to an Fm."

Sounds the same to our ear, yes, and most people who play by ear or don't have theory training would hear that chord (or play it on their guitar) and call it an F minor.  Hell, that's what I'd call it if I was showing someone else what chord to play.  But in the key of C# (for instance), it would be improper to call it Fm -- you would call it E# minor, and you'd spell the chord as:  E#, G#, B#, not F, Ab, C, as you would spell an Fm.  Why?  Well, I'm glad that you asked, and to be honest, a bit surprised that you even care, but here it is:  It's because the diatonic major scale in the key of C# would be:  C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, and B#.  Yep, 7 sharps, and you'd put all seven of them on the staff in your key signature when you're writing something out in C#.  Otherwise, you'd run the risk of confusing someone who was attempting to sight-read the piece (by calling notes and chords by their enharmonic names, i.e.  E# = "F", or  B# = "C"). 

It'll still be kinda confusing to them, though -- that's a lot of sharps to keep track of on the page and on your axe.  They'd probably be happier if you had written your piece out in Db, which would sound exactly the same, but have fewer accidentals to keep track of (Db has 5 flats, as opposed to C#'s 7 sharps).  In Db, it would be legal and proper to call that chord Fm.  BTW, the key of F# (six sharps) also contains the controversial and contentious E#.

Having said that, I'm guessing that Onstad referred to it as E#m just because he thought its oddness made for a mildly funny musical joke.  Or maybe he just likes the damn key of C#.

Great strip, BTW.  So very, very much to recommend about it. 

6
Achewood / Re: 28 Jan 2008: So I decree it, so it shall be.
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:55:29 pm »
On a related note, it would appear that candidate Ray Smuckles is rather ahead of the curve with his "more chickeny chicken" platform:

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/01/28/huckabee-on-romneys-fried-chicken-moment/

I'm sure we'll be seeing all the other candidates weigh in on chicken after this.  Can't wait to hear Ron Paul's take.  Nevertheless, Smuckles was, is, and always will be the original Chickeny Chicken candidate.

7
Achewood / Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:47:04 pm »
I once accidentally discovered a web comic called Achewood, then accidentally spent the next two days doing nothing but reading all the Achewood archives.

I hope we see more of Rocky the owl.  I like Rocky the owl.  I'm thinking that Blister probably won't like Rocky the owl quite so much.

8
Achewood / Re: 23 May 2006 - Sciencize it cool
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:17:07 pm »
// dude, there is a restaurant right by my house called
"table" including the lowercase t. it is pretty rediculous. //

I think it's a cool idea, but only if they pronounce it "tay-bull", like normal people do.  If they insist on pronouncing it "tah-bluh", then they should be taken to the town square and hung from their necks until they are dead.

9
Sports & Leisure / Re: Choose the best vegetable
« on: April 20, 2006, 07:44:47 am »
The garlic.  Without it, life would cease to have any purpose.

10
Jough:  Yeah, Emeril and Spongebob suck.  They bring nothing to the party.

Until they start dancing.

11
Achewood / Re: Hey! Remember the blogs? March 2006, just barely
« on: March 31, 2006, 07:50:13 am »
Speaking of Achewood blogs, I would say that Mr. Beef has come quite a ways since his last blog entry (Got the lamp!), like Ulysses or Siddhartha or Marlow or Ishmael or other some such dudes of old.  You know, all catharticized.

I don't know... somehow I don't think he'll much be needing The Lamp anymore.  Maybe he'll even get around to wearing one of those wiseass, ironic t-shirts he's been hiding all this time.  In public, even.

All I'm saying is when one's every move is the new tradition; when one becomes the ruling body, one hopes one wouldn't also be needing The Lamp.


12
No comment on the particulars of this specific strip, other than I enjoyed every frame (including the 17 frames of Vlad saying "you talkin to me?", drawn from 17 different points of view, that exist in my imagination), but one general comment:

Thank you, Mr. Onstad.  That was one hell of a ride.


13
Achewood / Re: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:54:17 am »
"our every move is the new tradition"

I love these cats.

14
Achewood / Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:05:11 pm »
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Monday's strip open with a series of pictures of Ray removing his shades, blinking his eyes, then rubbing them, then reaching over to the nightstand, picking up his cell phone and dialing --  beep beep boop bip beep boop bip...  pause... "Beef?  Ray.  Dude, I totally just had the wierdest dream."


15
Achewood / Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
<<  It ain't over. It so ain't over.  >>

No, not by any stretch.  At least not until they stop off at Vlad's Subway for a couple of Cold Cut Trios.

Pages: [1] 2