Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - jlk7e

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
I must note here the historical inaccuracy that there was no such thing as "County Gwynedd" in 1676.  The current county of Gwynedd was then divided into the separate counties of Caernarvonshire, Anglesey, and Merionethshire.  "Gwynedd" was, in 1676, only the name of a long extinct Welsh kingdom of the middle ages.

Yes, I am a pedant.

2
Is it just me, or is Nice Pete's rehearsal reminiscent of Luca Brasi at the beginning of the Godfather?

"Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child."

Which he then repeats in slightly different forms several times.

3
Achewood / Re: 7 July 2008 - a mittelschmerz-inducing clyster
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:53:12 am »
I am with Jorge - Ray gave T $100K - surely he can use some of that money to hire people to help him so that he doesn't have something different to do every fifteen seconds.

4
Quote
The lolcat is indeed a delicate concoction, I wonder if anyone will understand this in 2 years time.

I'm fairly certain I don't really understand it now.

5
Well, after lurking for some time, I'm finally brought to register by this:

I like the strip and all, but usn't this "the food is for the army" a complete retcon?  '

Let's go to the tapes. 

February 6: Roast Beef says "Two armies typically arise and their pawns are sent to the front.  It's rumored that the army leaders only fight on days one and three and traditionally feast on turkeys and brandy on day two."  Later in the same strip he gets to the "weakest lay waste to the weakest, and so on in kind."

The implication here is clearly that on Day 2 the army leaders sit around and feast while their army is off fighting on their behalf.

It also implies that, umm, Roast Beef doesn't clearly know what happens - it's only *rumored* that this is what happens.  It seems unlikely he'd know any more details

February 24: [that is, er, last Friday]: Roast Beef says "Now that you've kicked the ass of the only other army leader it looks like you're dining alone tomorrow."

The sense here is clearly the same - Ray will be sitting around by himself eating turkey on Day 2.

I have to say that this is a grave miscarriage of continuity!</ridiculous pedantry>

The names of previous fight champions are indeed awesome, though.  I'm a big fan of Lord Brannigan - do we think that he's an actual Lord, or that this is a nom de guerre?

I also feel that a) Ray's facial expression in Panel 5 shows clearly that his principal motive here is that he wants to eat the turkey; and b) Beef is clearly impressed that Ray has somehow stumbled onto his father's strategy.

Pages: [1]