Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - innes

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
Science & Nature / Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:59:45 pm »
The conscious/unconscious stuff seems to me to miss the point of how the brain works. The 'conscious mind' is a subjective construct that we experience from the inside (that's a bit tautological, but I wanted to emphasize the extreme subjectiveness of it -it's our conscious mind which is 'witnessing' our consciousness). It's silly to look at neurons firing and say 'those neurons are unconscious thought'. Thought is an abstraction way above the firing of neurons, and our own perception of our own thoughts, which is presumably what we mean by consciousness, is above that by another order of magnitude.

Of course I could be talking pish. I'm taking issue with what I think is a misunderstanding on the part of the non-scientist author of the piece. I think. um...


Cartoons about cats. I like them. And otters.

2
Science & Nature / Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »
That's funny, because I learned in my ethics class that one of the three main survival traits of a species is to not lie.  I forget why though.  Probably some stupid reason.

If lying didnt exist someone would invent it and get amazingly rich (translation: have lots of children and propagate their lying abilities to the next generation).

3
Achewood / Re: Some moussaka would really hit the spot. - 17 January 2007
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:06 pm »
Kill NP: He may just come back from Hell even more enraged.
Spare NP: You're potentially stuck with a harmless drooler who needs fed and watered. Annoying but harmless.

Dilemma caused by the Achewood post-death physics model.

4
Science & Nature / Re: Jellygiraffe
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:56:36 pm »
A bee stung me? How convenient, it is on the foot!
*zip*

I wonder if that works on a stubbed toe. It shouldn't be dismissed out of hand...

5
Science & Nature / Re: Because we're all about education
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:50:03 am »
I wonder... surely... yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsIDP1fY90&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0vtKJaCg0&mode=related&search=

(I defy anyone to resist swaying happily from side to side when watching the second one)

6
Science & Nature / Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:00 am »
...considering Britain is rather small, wouldn't you only need 3 or 4 masts? that seems a good number.

On the face of it that's right, but our traditional three-foot thick yak-excrement-and-gravel hut walls don't let mobile-phone signals through very well.

7
Science & Nature / Re: Because we're all about education
« on: January 12, 2007, 12:15:13 am »
The BASIC program has a syntax error. What are they teaching our children??

8
Achewood / Re: Blogs: December 2006
« on: January 10, 2007, 02:15:29 pm »
I am really sorry.

Pshaw! Internet is Trivial Business. I could see where you were coming from.
For what it's worth Yank-bashing really gets my goat as well. It's so lazy, hypocritical, and... annoying.
Another form of bigotry that for some reason, people seem to think they can indulge in while retaining the moral high ground.

------------------------------------------------------

9
Science & Nature / Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:51:21 am »
I was all set to snurk derisively at peoples' Apple fetishism, but having looked at that page, well - that device looks very very lovely. It's a device that I would like to touch and make use of and own. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep contentedly gazing at that device nestling on my bedside table.

Did you see the two-finger zoom thing? That's clever.

10
Sports & Leisure / Re: Snopes.com
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:30 am »
Whenever Ive been to a football (sacker) match I've ended up quietly and vehemently supporting the opposition.
It must be something to do with being stuck in the middle of a crowd of biased, shouty arseholes.

11
Achewood / Re: Blogs: December 2006
« on: January 09, 2007, 03:39:33 pm »
The 100,000 figure doesn't mean anything special - you could figure it in terms of another number.

I suppose true 'per capita' (deaths per head of population) value would be 14/100,000 - that's 140 micronoggins to use the SI unit.

But enough with the education already

I agree and am slapping myself around the face as I type yet another tedious non-achewood-related digression.

12
Achewood / Re: Blogs: December 2006
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:20:17 pm »
but what are those numbers relative to? 

Hmm, whether it's maybe per 10,000 people or something? The relative ratios are meaningful I guess - i.e: about 3 times more deadly in the USA than the UK. I will re-google...

[hold music]

...it's per 100,000 people.

Edit: per vehicle miles it's much closer in the two (both really fine) countries.

13
Achewood / Re: Blogs: December 2006
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »
Also, your stat is kind of bullshit.

Please, I didnt mean to drive over your toe with my intended-to-be-non-confrontational post. I suppose deaths-per-person-mile might be an interesting stat.

One thing I have learned from that explanation with the Lights and the Yielding and the Turning and the Glavin is that I am too damn stupid to be a pedestrian in the USA.

Hugs!

14
Achewood / Re: Blogs: December 2006
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:21:57 am »
This happens when someone is walking and a driver is turning.

In my cantree, if a pedestrian crossing has a green light, and a car also has a green light to drive through that crossing then, basically, something is broken. I may be misreading the original scenario but it sounded like the traffic system was giving both parties the go-ahead to move. "Metal and Flesh - I call on you to mingle violently!" It was saying.

So, in Amurickey - is there some element of overlapping green-lights which is regarded as normal workings of the system? Sounds like the kind of thing Lex Luthor would pull to keep Superman occupied during nefarious deeds.

Let's see...

Per capita road deaths in 2003
USA: 14
UK: 6

Ooh.



Elf-Traffic-Core:
THE CHAOS LIGHTS FLASHED GREEN TO STEEL AND MEAT
EMBRACE IN DEATH UPON THE BLOOD SLICK STREET

15
Sports & Leisure / Re: Urban Dead Thread
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:57:33 pm »
What do you recommend for this. I am in Mornington (as Terry Chambers) Police Department. I have spent five days doing nothing but collecting ammo, because the building is currently heavily barricaded and if I leave I cannot get back in.

Buy a big sponge cake and eat the whole thing in a one'er.

Pages: [1] 2 3