Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - isaacs_law

Pages: [1] 2
1
Achewood / Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:00 am »
I admire Chris Ware, but he begs for parody and this feels quite affectionate, more an Achewoodian take on Ware's aesthetic than pure mockery force.

Oh and brilliant, best strip in ages.

I'm content-free since 2008

2
Achewood / Re: (10-17-2007) The Perfect Thing To Say, Ever
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:57:26 am »
Further observations:

I've just realized I got the phrase "burst of pussy-nougat" (complete with hyphen, which isn't in the strip) from the general format of a line of shampoos I used in my youth. "Burst of Cherry-Almond" was one.

I don't listen to much classical, but I have been listening to a Bach motet during this reading and posting process and it is pretty much perfectly inappropriate.




Lately it seems that all Achewood does is remind me of childhood things.

3
Achewood / Re: (10-17-2007) The Perfect Thing To Say, Ever
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:33 am »
If this is the end of this plotline, well... frickin' awesome way to end it.

I believe I like this strip Okay if there will be more, but I will upgrade if it's the end of the plotline. Yes.

Though I appreciated the alt-text because I couldn't quite work out what was up with the art alone. At first I thought a burst of "pussy-nougat" had literally made an appearance, and I have no humor paradigm for dealing with that.

4
I'm totally pleased, but man, this is a moribund winners' board otherwise innee? Love & Rockets is still publishing? (Sure, it's worthy, but I don't get this unless it's the comics equivalent of the apology Oscar.)

Also I was shocked to find that Alison Bechdel's Fun Home didn't take graphic novel until I remembered it came out last year. Then I was shocked to find that it didn't win last year. What is this world in which we live? Mom-Mom's weepin' eye will not stop weepin'.

5
Achewood / Re: October 02, 2007 - 2052
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:52:38 am »
Aw thanks! Glad to be of service.

Man, I'm getting established here with can rights and everything. I should get myself a gender.

6
Achewood / Re: October 02, 2007 - 2052
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:53:25 pm »
Yep Roc is from Chapel Hill! My friend Bryan works for them.

wait, dying? what are y'all talking about?

la di da *skips off into distance*

Tell your friend he can do no wrong, and totally works for the only label which might positively influence me to buy a CD based solely on their logo. Their taste is that aligned with mine; we are like bam, bam, bam.

Or don't, because I am a stranger on the Internet.

7
Achewood / Re: October 02, 2007 - 2052
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:45:39 pm »
I try very hard to convince myself that the inevitability of death is nothing to be upset about; that without it life would be in some way meaningless and that it just means that I should make the most of the glorious period of sentience that the universe has so bizarrely granted me.

The trouble is that I live a life so ludicrously charmed that it is actually difficult to believe I could be plucked from it. This is not a state of affairs to complain about, I realise. It is one the world has a distinct right to be pissed off with.

I have to say, I've never found literary theory that depressing. Dull, certainly, and at times enragingly silly, but not depessing. But like I said, charmed life, next-to-impossible to depress. I'm sorry.

Not at all, more power to you.  ;D

See, I find it depressing precisely because all that vast brainpower's been turned to something so dull and silly. But it's the price I pay for becoming a grown-up academic, and as such prices go, I must admit it's absurdly low.

8
Achewood / Re: October 02, 2007 - 2052
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:30 pm »
This comic terrified me. It reminded me of David Schwartz' "How Much Is A Million," a picture book of my childhood - I think it's pretty famous, maybe you've read it too. It's designed to teach children to comprehend huge numbers using concrete examples, and there's a particular sequence where all the characters (there were a bunch of children and a wizard, for some reason) are shown in the process of trying to count to some enormous number and aging and dying in the process. They show their progress over a period of several labeled years, and in each year they are older and more die until at last only tombstones are left.

It was my introduction to the concept of futility. It seems the book has stayed with me all these years, because when I saw today's strip I blurted "How Much Is A Million!" and I also totally lost sleep over it.

Completely apart from that it was, on its own merits, the most scarringly and deliberately depressing thing I read this week, and trust me when I say I had to read a lot of literary theory so there is competition. I truly, truly don't know which is worse: Ray lingering on and on and ON, Phillipe eternally five, the Johnny Cash Beef business (yes, totally also thought that) or the living horror that is Teodor's abrupt wasting-away (it's probably meant to be read as "he gets in shape and then bites it" but knowing he's about to die, his skinniness looks sort of horrifying anyway. Besides, I prefer the theory that he just suddenly gets cancer, because it would mean his dad was right to worry, and that's the kind of continuity I appreciate).

Anyway, somehow SO MUCH WORSE than "Ye Sleeping Knights of Jesus."



EDIT: "Ye Sleeping Knights of Jesus"

http://www.herkolson.com/names_r/robyn_hitchcock_songs/ye_sleeping_knights_of_jesus_lyrics.html

So I don't look all pompous with my music references that 100% of readers will not get instinctively. Plz check out the album this comes from, "I Often Dream of Trains;" it's due for a desperately overdue reissue soon on Yep Roc. I am not affiliated with Robyn Hitchcock or his vast publicity machine.

And yes, with the tune this is a quite upbeat little song. Only way to do something like that, isn't it?

9
Achewood / Re: September 18th, 2007 - Eroghree-vag-guh-Guh GUH!
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:00:17 am »
The panel of Teodor's bubble breaking is basically viscerally horrifying.

10
"A baseball cap can hold the average puke" is length and meter-perfect for one line of a heroic couplet or the last lines of a sonnet, I think.

11
Oh god the non-linear storytelling Scott McCloud orgasms.

This is splendid good. Somehow he's placed everything just right so the eye stops, or trails off, at the perfect spots for maximum frustration and despair.

Sometimes Onstad's work reminds me of Chris Ware, but a Chris Ware I prefer to the real Chris Ware. Insular, claustrophobic and given to nonlinear panels and old-school fontage (the Onstadian black-box "Soon." or "Later." is a straight Ware rip, I think), yet with a somewhat less rawly documentary focus on dysfunction. I think my issue with Ware is that he seems to actively avoid engaging with, or giving a damn about his own characters (though this is based solely on Jimmy Corrigan, so maybe I can be corrected). To me, making that artistic choice is like choosing to write a novel without dialogue. It's legitimate, but why?

Anyway, today's comic is like Ware, but with a sense of recognition and a Judge Judy joke.




Now, somebody else drop the name of a well-known comics creator with a degree of crossover success. Do it for no reason.

Art Spiegelman! No, you, I said you.

12
Achewood / Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:55:09 am »
Trivial Pursuit is my game too. I always bring it out after losing at Scrabble.

Aside: I don't know if this is true of any of the other subject GRE's, but the subject GRE in English is very much like Trivial Pursuit in the tone of the questions and the way of thinking you need to crack them - mostly in the sense that

a) most questions on obscure subjects are really just tests of your ability to read context, and
b) when relatively unread literatures come up with one relatively widely-read figure, it's that one (ergo "which Aesthetic writer's work espoused [pointless elaboration on obscure theory of Socialism which you don't even bother reading because it's going to be Oscar Wilde - not just for reasons expressed above, but because Oscar Wilde is right up there with Marvell and Emily Dickinson on the list of Safe Bets On The English GRE]).

My score on the English subject test didn't merit my offering advice, but on the other hand the Princeton Review would tell you just the same for $20.

Do you find modern editions of Trivial Pursuit significantly worse than the 80's editions? My brother and I do. Unfortunately this means we can spend some time in search of the Entertainment wedge as our knowledge of television from twenty years before we were born is pretty much nil.



Oh, and the questions are just poorly written, it's a major flaw in the game and I acknowledge it. Boo!

13
Achewood / Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:12 am »
The first time I read this strip it made no sense to me.

The second time, I read the tiny "Showbiz died" not in its probably-intended sense of "Beef is assuming the worst when awoken by the phone" but "Beef has become aware, through psychic twin-sense, that Showbiz has just died and the joke is that this information has nothing to do with the rest of the strip..."

...It worked for me in an Achewood way. I'm almost sorry it isn't true even though I wish Showbiz no personal ill will.


(Lord. They are twins, aren't they? It's been awhile.)

14
Achewood / Re: 22-Sept-2006 - I'm Mickey penis, man!
« on: September 22, 2006, 05:43:45 am »
What I like about this storyline is the previous strip's very newspaper-comicky feel (an excessively circuitous setup, in the service of a weird anticlimactic punchline full of excessive emphasis)...followed by this one, which just bloody-mindedly explains that setup and punchline, in incredible depth, to the point where it actually becomes funny. Neither strip really works without the other; together, they make you really admire Onstad's dedication to being a smart-ass.

I really dig this pedantic approach to humor, possibly because I am pedantic.

15
Achewood / Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:13:26 am »
At least there's a place there for you and your friends.

Most true!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've been stalking this board for years now without saying anything, so it's good to finally enter the castle of TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2