Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Panopticon

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:17:37 pm »
I love that to Ray it is so incomprehensible that one could choose the phony weeping tutorial over Top Gun and, even more so, over his own personal Citizen Kane that is Braveheart. 

But... Braveheart... with the face paint... and the kilt-mooning...

2
People & Places / Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:10:39 pm »
I am enjoying the absurdity of the image of a guard dog sustaining sheep urination.  He has seen this before and the look in his eyes says he is too tired to reprimand the simple woolly creature.  He is jaded, this dog, in my mind.  He is bored of sheep piss.  Come up with some new tricks, sheep, he thinks.  The pissing thing has lost its luster.

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes.  I do indeed enjoy the occasional crab cake.  I've read enough of the archives to be somewhat familiar with the sweeping tangentiality of many of the threads, and I have enjoyed witnessing some of the odd places the conversations eventually find themselves.  In your face, collective thread titles.  Don't try to chain us down to one topic, etc.

3
People & Places / Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:42:08 am »
This internet thing we've got going here is pretty darned amazing.  You can effortlessly and inexpensively communicate with people across the globe.  You can share ideas and opinions to an extent humans never dreamed of a few generations ago.  It amazes me that some people use it instead to spew venom at people they've never even met.  I'd simply say "let's agree to disagree," but this seems like too much of a fundamental, core-outlook-of-the-world type of incongruity for even that.  Regardless, I came to this board because it looked like a group of smart, generally good people with whom to talk about some words and drawings of anthropomorphic animals.  I've never met another real skin and gristle and bone human being who even heard of Achewood, much less enjoyed it (despite my attempts to introduce it to a number of people), so I figured I'd enjoy a little Achewood-related discourse with some virtual folk.  I thought it'd be polite to say hello and a little about myself.  But that doesn't matter.

Cartoon.  Cats. I like the comic.  I like how Roast Beef gets all angry-indignant when he's drunk, or when he's finished hacking Yahoo.  I like the two-week Uncle Culpepper buildup, even going so far as to off a main character, only to end in the 'bots tearing around in a pickup truck.  I like Ray's Hemingway-voiced blogging wristwatch ("He read a website about Italian sports cars, and then one about loose women").  Cartoon cats.  Exchange of non-vitriolic ideas.  Let's do this.

4
People & Places / Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:06 am »
Well.  This was unexpected.  I was under the misapprehension that this is mainly a place where people come to discuss a comic written for amusement, not a vehicle through which to semi-anonymously disparage the life choices of others.

Joining the military, whether enlisted or officer, whether rationally considered or as an alternative to Wal-Mart, doesn't somehow add up to bloodlust or a callous heart.  Joining the military doesn't even necessarily mean one supports current foreign policy.  But foreign policy decisions aren't up to the military the way our government is structured, nor should they be.  Moreover, there are a multitude of jobs in the armed services through which one can help provide for the nation's defense without being anything remotely resembling a "hired killer."  You make many assumptions, Mr. Hernandez.

And no, theinevitable, there is no governmental anti-Achewood conspiracy.  Recently, though, due to some network security concerns on campus here, they set up a filter that blocks our access to "questionable" sites (pornography, gambling, illegal miscellany), and for some reason Victoria's Secret's website was apparently among those blocked.  Anyway, female midshipmen who actually wanted to purchase clothing complained and I hear they've since restored access.  I suppose the administration feared network security was at risk so long as midshipmen were ogling the models; it seems they didn't anticipate legitimate purposes among those of the fairer sex here.

5
People & Places / Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:04:12 am »
Hello, all.

I am in my last semester at the Naval Academy.  It is a pretty decent place to be for the most part although at this point I'm itching to move on.  I stumbled upon Achewood when I was a lowly plebe (=freshman) and it seems to tickle a part of my brain that had been just waiting for an opportune moment to be tickled.  It was as if I walked into a new-to-me restaurant at complete random and loved every item on the menu: "Yes, I'll start with a glass of the rabbit ambulance sauvignon.  Ocular shenanigans tartare for the main course, and I'll top it off with a slice of A BLOO BLA BLOO BLOO BLOOOO pie.  My compliments to the chef, Achewood.  Keep the change." 

Anyway.  I set up an RSS feed reader so I could stop compulsively checking for updates, but it hasn't helped.  Because, you know, maybe he added some new content and the reader missed at.  At two in the afternoon.  On a Saturday.  It could happen.

Pages: [1]