Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a little something from the man...  (Read 2274 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Just a little something from the man...
« on: May 15, 2004, 04:11:46 pm »

Just discovered a link to this article, written fairly recently by Kurt Vonnegut.

I like it. I like that he's managed to touch on some really serious things but still keep it all fairly light and humorous.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Just a little something from the man...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 05:16:29 pm »

I read this on, I think it was, metafilter, this morning.  I'm a big Vonnegut fan, but I don't think political writing is his forte.  Still, I'm glad to see that he's still as witty and articulate as ever.  I'm happy that the guy's still around after those millions of Pall Malls.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Just a little something from the man...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 05:31:35 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I'm happy that the guy's still around after those millions of Pall Malls.


Yikes, that's what my Granny smoked.  She died of emphysema at the age of 81.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Just a little something from the man...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 06:33:14 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I'm a big Vonnegut fan, but I don't think political writing is his forte.


I certainly don't think it's his forte, and maybe it was just the state of mind I read it in, but I really appreciated his willingness to spark an issue, but then to leave it, and go with the witt. It leaves the reader to go along their own paths. He's kind of neatly sidestepping political rhetoric.

I realise too after reading this that I must go back and reread the Vonnegut I haven't touched in so long.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Just a little something from the man...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 11:47:08 pm »

I love this country because people can say and print their opinions and not fear their being dragged off in chains in the dead of night.

He's a good writer and I proudly disagree with him while celebrating the very Constitution and institutions that stand for both his right to say it and for me to disagree.

And he is right about the fossil fuels problem but I think we all know the future of petroleum. I think anyone who feels the need to stand around pointing out what's wrong with everything should be responsible enough to present reasonable solutions occasionally. If nothing else, the press and writing in this country seems to point to a defensible theory that we are a nation of malcontent complainers.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up