Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?  (Read 9947 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2004, 11:48:09 pm »

Yeah, you're alone.

Rushmore is the best.

Then Bottle Rocket.

Then Tenenbaums.

It's hard to forsee where The Life Aquatic will fit in, but I can't imagine it being better than his first two.

We'll see.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2004, 02:10:42 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Anderson hierarchy.


I don't know about Rushmore being better than the other two, but Wes Anderson's probably my favourite contemporary director so I'd have a lot of trouble ranking his films.  I find I enjoy the same things about all of them and that they have similar flaws.  I'm terrified that I'll dislike Life Aquatic, however, since I've set quite high standards for it.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2004, 03:54:27 am »

I like Rushmore best of the three, followed closely by Tennenbaums.  If nothing else you have to like these movies because they give Bill Murray a chance to act -- that is, to play a character other than Bill Murray.

My main criticism of Anderson is that he needs a good editor.  A story editor that is, not a film editor.  His pacing is a little slack which leads to some dragginess at points.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2004, 07:53:35 pm »

Hell yes isn't that true.  Although that is kind of why I love Bottle Rocket so much.  It's such a lazy plot, or at least feels so lazy.  It gets kind of annoying in the next two.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
My main criticism of Anderson is that he needs a good editor.  A story editor that is, not a film editor.  His pacing is a little slack which leads to some dragginess at points.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2004, 08:10:44 pm »

I just rented Citizen Kane.  It's really weird to watch a movie that's been referenced so much.  I kind of felt like I'd already seen it although I hadn't.  I'd say it stands up well over time.

As for recent must see movies, I'd recommend The Triplets of Belleville.  I saw the french only version in a theatre.  The DVD has totally unnessisary subtitles.  It's very enjoyable, and the music is great too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up