Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?  (Read 1791 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« on: July 12, 2004, 06:36:55 pm »

Tonight Utah software engineer Ken Jennings will attempt to break the $1-million mark on Jeopardy!

So when did they stop the limit on 5-day winners?  I thought you could only win five times in a row and then you'd be in the "Tournament of Champions" later?

Anyway, August, this guy has won like, 40 straight times.  Doesn't that just piss you off?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 06:43:02 pm »

I'm just relieved that I missed the chipper/shredder of death that is Ken Jennings by a mere three weeks or so.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:48:19 pm »

Well, I don't know.

Losing to Lex Luthor who missed the question about Smallville is worse than losing to the unstoppable juggernaught.

I mean, at least those who lost to Jennings can say "Well, I mean, the guy IS unstoppable..."

It kinda takes the sting out of it.

Anyway, this guy must be ratings GOLD for Jeopardy.  I wonder if they're fielding him the questions ahead of time, a la Quiz Show.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 06:53:09 pm »

Yeah, yeah.  I know.  And I would have won if I hadn't missed the stupid "Red Dawn" question.  Don't you think I know that?  Don't you think I remember that every day.  How do you think it feels to have to face that horrible knowledge every single day for the rest of my life.  Knowing that I could have had another $25K if I'd just remembered that stupid fuck*ng RED DAWN!!!!  Just how do you think it feels?


Actually, it feels pretty damn good.  
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:03:26 pm »

Well, you smoked such high ass on the first day that the second day was just gravy anyway.

Do you get any kind of prize/money for being on the second appearance even if you don't win?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 07:19:13 pm »

$2000 for second, $1000 for third.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 07:35:54 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
$2000 for second, $1000 for third.


Really?  Is that a change?  I thought you got a trip somewhere for second, and, like a vacuum cleaner or something crappy for third.  I know a guy who was on Jeopardy a few years ago, came in second, won a trip to Jamaica.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
First One Million Dollar Jeopardy! Winner?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 07:48:35 pm »

DAMN!  I  think I'd rather have the trip to Jamaica.

I don't know when it changed.  But since they don't (directly) pay any travel expenses it insures that the contestants are covered on that end.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up