Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Julia Child  (Read 2697 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RIP Julia Child
« on: August 13, 2004, 03:16:21 pm »

Dead at 91.  She was a great cook, a great writer and a great TV personality.  There wouldn't be nearly so many foodies in the USA today if it weren't for her.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
RIP Julia Child
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:34:33 pm »

Next time you're in the DC area, go see Julia's kitchen at the Smithsonian if you haven't already.

I expect a big pile of flowers to be left there in the coming weeks.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RIP Julia Child
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 08:28:47 pm »

Don't forget about Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet), composer Jerry Goldsmith, Francis Crick (the DNA guy), comedian Alan King, Alistair Cook, Peter Ustinov, Paul Winfield, etc.

But you're right, no more than in recent years.

I guess I'm more aware of these things because of my participation in online message boards in the past year.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
RIP Julia Child
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 08:47:52 pm »

and the guitarist from the New York Dolls...

that and Francis Crick were the ones I found saddest.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
RIP Julia Child
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 12:51:02 am »

I wanted to be sad about Crick, but, well, all the shadows of plagiarism... that he was a genius is indisputable, but that he was any kind of scientific role model seems highly disputable indeed.

Anyway -- God bless, Mrs. Child. May we always be grateful for your elevation of the American food consciousness.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
RIP Julia Child
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:17:45 pm »

I was so sad to hear this.  I loved watching her show, especially the last episodes- her voice got so insane - all pitch-changing-every second word, and she was so bent over the counter.  It was like cooking against the passage of time - there were lots of guest chefs who didn't know what to do with the whole "Julia" situation.  "I mean, lady, you're like totally bent over the counter - your chin is, like half an inch from the egg whites, and yet, you are the queen, so I'll just stand back a bit."

Also, I recently won a game of Cranium inpersonating her.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up