Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04  (Read 4503 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 05:20:48 pm »

I think jough was specifically referring to Achewood.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 05:59:16 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
Usually the political strips don't "take sides" as far as the election goes...


Is this a joke?  What strips have you been reading?


I've read them all, but I don't have the Strip-Memory that CJ has, so maybe he can CJ a partisan strip for us to back up your point.  I really don't think half of Achewood's strips are partisan, though.

I mean, the Beef on the Moon storyline - what party did that support?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 05:59:39 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I think jough was specifically referring to Achewood.


Well DUH.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 06:06:33 pm »

Quote from: "superock101"
Furthermore, "Cheney" appears to come down squarely in support of curly-wire telephones rather than against them as suggested by Filas.


Did this strip change?  When I first read the strip this morning I thought that Cheney was against curly-wires, but on rereading I see that you are correct in saying that he supports them.  Was I just sleepy this morning, or did Cheney flip-flop?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 06:56:21 pm »

On it's face, it seems pro-Edwards but I think overall the whole concept of a vice-presidential debate is really the issue here. I mean, it's always been a kind of joke: What does the Vice-President actually do? I thought he strip sort of gets to that point.  Although it does lean somewhat left I think the strip cuts both ways. It's good.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 07:12:16 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What does the Vice-President actually do? I thought he strip sort of gets to that point.


Did you see the presidential and vice presidential debates? On the face of it it would appear that the vice president runs the country. Oy. That's kind of tired at this point, but it certainly seems to have some merit.

Anyway...I think I was thinking similar things to Onstad when I watched this last night. Granted, Cheney's votes COULD be attributed to a strict limited-government ideology, but the list Edwards put together just made him look evil. Which made me laugh. I thought it was going to turn out that he voted against children having puppies, too.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 07:20:09 pm »

1) It was a general question

2) I was being non-partisan in the spirit of the request made above

Also remember that each of the things on the list would not be legislative items by themselves but parts of much bigger legislation. What you vote on is the major part of the legislation; amendments and riders are always added on. All of those could have been attached to one omnibus spending bill that contained any number of unsupportable entitlements or unfunded mandates. To judge a legislator with a list like that in a vacuum would be ignorant and to offer partial information in the manner that both sides did last night makes these 'debates' nothing more than rhetorical disservice.

The moderator was AWESOME though. And I don't often say that about NPR / PBS people.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 07:28:36 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The moderator was AWESOME though. And I don't often say that about NPR / PBS people.


Interesting.  I've heard both extremes -- that she was great and that she totally sucked.  I got to listen to about 1/3 of the debate on the radio.  We spent most of last night in the emergency room -- younger daughter either broke or badly sprained her ankle because of (not punishment) a rollerblading accident.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 08:34:18 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Well DUH.


I had accidentally switched to stupid and left myself running all night.

AW - Sorry about your daughter.
Logged

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 08:44:43 pm »

okay upon further inspection under the tutelage of superock 101's keen eyes...Cheney is indeed FOR curly wires.  thanks for clarifying that.  i woke up real early and was up late posting nonsense.  my blog needs serious clarifying.  

dang those lazy candidates for sitting and ruining any chance at roomba theater.  

i wonder if onstad tried to incorporate the cheney hand rub but maybe it didn't work.  

p.s. partisanship aside; lawyers rule!  wooo!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 12:29:15 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Yeah, but are they on Roombas?

My thoughts exactly.

As for any kind of partisan strip, this is what I have off the top of my head. Oh, and the next day.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 03:36:35 am »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
I thought it was going to turn out that he voted against children having puppies, too.


I, for one, would be relieved to here Cheney come out against this ghastly practice, this crime against biology.  Mad scientists should NOT be allowed to engineer innocent children just so they can spawn canines, or indeed any other beast that walks, fly's, slithers or swims.  Is this something the Bush and Kerry campain condone?

I'm Mantonio and I approved of this post.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 03:40:27 am »

I'd like to see a Roomba reenactment of the 1992 VP debate.  They'd need a third player to make it work, though.  Todd as Admiral Stockdale.

C-c-c-c-could you r-r-repeat the question? I t-t-turned off my h-h-h-hearing aid!
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 02:05:27 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
I'd like to see a Roomba reenactment of the 1992 VP debate.  They'd need a third player to make it work, though.  Todd as Admiral Stockdale.

C-c-c-c-could you r-r-repeat the question? I t-t-turned off my h-h-h-hearing aid!


1- that's awesome.

2- a debate between Todd and Theodore on who should have been Phillippe's Veep running mate would have been amazing.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 09:33:41 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Ooh!  Also on the subject of partisan political strips.  Check out this awesome trove of Dr. Seuss Political Cartoons.  That dude was pro war early and often.  Awesome.


Well come on, anyone who butters their bread butter side down deserves death.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up