Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004  (Read 3922 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 03:41:09 pm »

Quote from: "superock101"
Quote from: "jldunston"
Cilantro.  Cilantro.  Mmmm, cilantro.


That story made me throw up in my mouth a little.


Vomit. Vomit. Mmmm, vomit.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 05:10:53 am »

Man, is there no end to Ray's shocking spendthriftness?

To touch on the other point of discussion:  Cilantro is rad. It gets the official Somebody nice Seal of Approval for being the Most Delicious Seasoning.  I buy fresh cilantro and add it to salsa, because they never add enough, in my opinion.  If Ray made a really delicious chipotle salsa with the right amount of cilantro... daaaaaamn.

In my opinion, those two ingredients (chipotle peppers and cilantro) are the cornerstone of a goddamned delicious salsa.  The addition of an exotic or unexpected fruit, such as pineapple or peaches, would culminate in salsa perfection.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 02:26:27 pm »

There is a hypothesis floating around that there is a genetic difference that makes cilantro taste like soap to some people and not others.  But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 03:02:34 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.


I think my mother is convinced it tastes of soap. I love it, as does my brother who uses it fairly frequently.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 11:16:52 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "wombat"
But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.


I think my mother is convinced it tastes of soap. I love it, as does my brother who uses it fairly frequently.


I think it tastes like soap AND I love it.  I'm not sure what to think about that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 12:46:44 am »

There is also speculation as to genetic differences in people who experience the phenomenon of "asparagus whiz" and those who don't.  Are the latter unable to produce smelly pee after eating asparagus, or are they just unable to smell it?

Perhaps this phenomenon and the cilantro-soap thing are related.  There's a doctoral dissertation lurking in there somewhere.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 03:57:51 am »

You know what's fascinating about the asparagus pee thing?  You get it amazingly quickly after eating the asparagus.  Within like 15 minutes. Scientists cannot explain how this happens -- you should not be able to process it nearly that fast.  It is a mystery.  But the smell does not bother me.

MMMM Asparagus.  It is time for me to go cut down my aspargus patch.  I let it go to seed, which is what you are supposed to do.  Come April I will once again have the freshest asparagus in town!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 03:58:54 am »

1) I love Cilantro and it doesn't taste like soap to me.

2) Ask Cecil did an article about the Asparagus Whiz thing but I'm too lazy to look for it now. Anyone?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 04:09:05 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

MMMM Asparagus.  It is time for me to go cut down my aspargus patch.  I let it go to seed, which is what you are supposed to do.  Come April I will once again have the freshest asparagus in town!

This is the best bragging ever. I mean, yes. "Freshest asparagus in town!" It sounds so cheerful.

(Note for those of you curious about modly pedantry: this is not split because there wasn't that much else to talk about with this strip. I mean, seriously.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 02:27:26 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
1) I love Cilantro and it doesn't taste like soap to me.

2) Ask Cecil did an article about the Asparagus Whiz thing but I'm too lazy to look for it now. Anyone?

1) The first time I ate cilantro I reflexively spit it out before I could even register the taste. Like my body thought it was poison or something.

2) http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_383.html
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 04:43:45 am »

I was going to specifically ask CJ, then I thought, Why?

Right on!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up