Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04  (Read 3420 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« on: October 08, 2004, 10:45:09 am »

I'm happy to see Emeril and Spongebath again but where did Ol' Eyebrows learn to speak English?  Is he part Amish or something?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 11:47:34 am »

Quote from: "superock101"
I'm happy to see Emeril and Spongebath again but where did Ol' Eyebrows learn to speak English?  Is he part Amish or something?


I am going to devote my entire life to talking more like Emeril.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 12:59:36 pm »

I like it when Chris gets a new bottle of black ink.  Plus, everybody knows my position on eyebrows.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 01:09:11 pm »

I'm trying to figure out what that one poster is.
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 03:21:52 pm »

I don't know how I feel about this strip. If Beef and Molly break up I will be all sorts of saddened.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 03:57:34 pm »

I am not sure whether I like these guys.  

I think that they are good in small doses, which is how Onstad has been using them.  In that measure, they effectively convey a feeling of relaxed and easy camaraderie, but at the same time you feel that you don't really understand why you bother with these guys.  Maybe Beef feels the same way.

Also, Spongebath's arm on the bar is a perfect gesture.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 04:41:34 pm »

If this leads to any kind of breakup, I'll be pissed, but Emeril does have a point -- Beef seems reluctant to the point of stagnation, and that means he probably at least has some thinking to do.

I, too, like Emeril and Spongebath in small doses. They're nice as a background element to the strip.

Also: shading. Shading shading shading. I internet-heart strips with shading, oh yes.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 02:23:24 am »

I, too, am a big fan of the dialect differences in some of the supporting cast of Achewood - Emeril and Trouble Man in particular, but also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as." One of these days, I'm just going to bust out in Emerilese at work, at which point I'll probably be sent home early to get some sleep.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 08:46:43 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I, too, am a big fan of the dialect differences in some of the supporting cast of Achewood ... also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as."


Surely, you are citing this as a Dialect Difference as opposed to something you actually like, because Roast Beef's "such as" is perhaps the single most infuriating verbal tic ever intentionally cooked up.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:34:54 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as."


Surely, you are citing this as a Dialect Difference as opposed to something you actually like, because Roast Beef's "such as" is perhaps the single most infuriating verbal tic ever intentionally cooked up.


Sorry... I actually find "such as" incredibly creative for its subtlety. If one of the primary characters talked like Emeril and Trouble Man, I'd probably get sick of it. But Roast Beef's "such as" does something for me. I've actually tried to start using it in real life myself, just to see if anyone catches it.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 04:43:56 pm »

Yeah, I use such as rather than like all the time and I always get weird looks.

Especially when "I really such as the new Bowie album."

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 04:53:18 pm »

Could you imagine a Valley Girl getting a hold of it?

"Ohmygawd, such as, I was TOTALLY, such as, looking at this hot boy, and such as, he looked at me! Such as, ohmygawd!"
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 08:18:49 pm »

Chris is turning the world into Southern California one strip at a time.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 12:38:42 pm »

He is Pan-Cali.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up