Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnolia Electric Co  (Read 1173 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Magnolia Electric Co
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:41:04 pm »

I'm listening to the new live album by Magnolia Electric Co, recorded a couple years ago I guess.  I'm really enjoying it, and I think some of you all will too.  It reminds me a bit of Will Oldham backed by a full rock band, and some Neil Young stuff.  It is, in fact, what rock music should be, if it isn't the Jesus Lizard.

Jason Molina, of Songs: Ohia, is the brain of the band.  They will be touring pretty extensively it appears in Spring.  Luckily, he's hitting Salt Lake.  It will be a night of serious rocking and beer consumption, I predict.  Unless it's a all-ages show.

I saw Songs: Ohia once, and enjoyed it more or less, but don't have any of their records.  It was less rock than this.  Any Molina fans here?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Magnolia Electric Co
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:48:24 pm »

I'm a huge Jason Molina fan.  I've been listening to Songs: Ohia for a couple of years, and I was insanely happy when my first article for the school paper was a review of a Magnolia Electric Co. show.  

They played at my fave venue, and I went and grabbed a place at the front while my friend went out front and, as he later learned, smoked a joint with the band's (awesome) steel guitar guy.  The show was incredible, and as they were packing up their gear, I went up to Jason Molina and said "Hi, I'm really sorry to do this, but your show was great and uh all I did in high school was drive around all night listening to Songs: Ohia so uh thank you for that," and he was a very pleasant, very congenial little man.  A surprisingly little man.  Verging on tiny.  So that was weird, but he's really a charming guy.

I like the tour album a lot, too.  The first song, "Dark Don't Hide It" was the first song they played when I saw them and I dug it immediately, although I find it eerily Neil Young-ish.
But yes, the point is, Jason Molina, rad.
Logged
goose means greedy

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Magnolia Electric Co
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 02:04:47 am »

The recording quality of the record is pretty damn good.  I can't wait to see him in April.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up