Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Worst Fifteen Songs  (Read 17343 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2005, 04:00:42 am »

I'll take a whack at this...

1) "It's like Soul, Man" by Guided By Voices - I'd rather listen to metal scraping across a boombox mic than hear this Tobin Sprout nugget. In fact, with the old GBV bootlegs, I can! I seriously don't consider any of the noise experiments that were thrown away and re-dredged up for compilations on Suitcase and other places as real actual songs. But as far as songs on official albums and EP's this was the bogusest.

2) "Papal Visit" by The Fall - Yeah Mark E Smith is great for spinning intricate stories but if he has shit for accompaiment why bother?

Also somebody mentioned earlier they didn't like "Hip Priest"? I thought it was fine - but I'm more into the long rambling songs in the first place. Was it more that it just didn't compare at all as an epic after "The NWRA"? That I can agree on.

3) "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles - Just one of about 50 reasons to kick Paul McCartney in the face. A very high-up reason too.

4) "Flaming Heart" by Swervedriver - It almost feels like dirty pool to pick a short instrumental, but it's even dirtier pool that it's stuck on Ejector Seat Reservation, my personal favorite album from the band. It's not godawful terrible - just meh.

5) "Aspectacle" by Can - JUST SO BLOODY fuck*ng PLAIN ARGH.

6) "The Breadman" by Superchunk - Man, Mac wrote some dumb shit back in the early days.  He made up for it, but dang this was a dog.

7) "World in Motion" by New Order - Sports themes (even if it is for the World Cup) are BAD.

8) "For You" by Big Star - Just really plodding and almost a chore to listen to.

9) "Don't You Ever Dare Call Me Chickenhead" by Andy Partridge - Dunno if it's fair to consider his Fuzzy Warbles demos as part of the XTC canon but I'm gonna do it anyway, since some cuts are actually full band songs. I think he's even run down this song himself as the worst thing he ever recorded. And he does not lie.

10) "Look Here" by The Clash - For a band that was supposed to be perfect up until Combat Rock, the sure did pack Sandanista! with a fair amount of shit.

11) "Get Funky" by Teenage Fanclub - Just because it's every other TFC fans' least favorite. No, actually I just - I never could stand it, from the day I ripped off Thirteen from BMG I always skpped past this thing. Before it was cool to be a hater.

12) "Electronic Renaissance" by Belle and Sebastian - Nothing against them being cheery, everything against them playing with electronics and sucking at making something entertaining. Irony that the next song on Tigermilk is probably one of their best songs ever.

13) "Drive-By Fader" by Pavement - There's a difference between awesome noisy rockout instrumentals and things I could recreate on my Yamaha keyboard 10 years ago - with nothing in skills to speak of whatsoever..

14) "Saturday" by Yo La Tengo - Dear Zod I am going to fall asleep. And the album hasn't even really started yet. Way to go, Ira and Georgia.

15) "House of Sun" by The Boredoms - Losing two band members iis no excuse for a 20 minute instrument tune-up that doesn't accomplish anything. By contrast, the "Seadrum" A-side is incredible.

And that's that - I had to do something more than a "HI I AM NEW THROW POOP AT ME" post I picked this thing.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2005, 04:30:53 am »

a quick scan of my itunes reveals the worst 15 songs by bands i otherwise enjoy:

The Pixies, 'Silver' - Jesus CHRIST what is this song doing on Doolittle.

Beta Band, 'Monolith' - Self-indulgent sampling garbage of other songs on the SAME album comprises the longest song of said album.  It's a centerpiece...of bullshit!

Echo and the Bunnymen, 'Make Me Shine' - Most unnecessarily flamboyant Echo song.

Modest penis, 'Convenient Parking' - Yeah, we get that you like to repeat song lines.  You still need more than one line.  God damn it.

My Bloody Valentine, 'Everything but the First Song' - Just joking, the first one sucks, too.

The Postal Service, 'This Place is a Prison' - When Ben Gibbard lyrical sadness joins forces with Jim Tamborello electronic sadness, they form...shit.

Radiohead, 'Treefingers' - If this selection seems controversial to you, congratulations, you are a pretentious dick.

Wilco, 'Less Than You Think' - If you're a band with 15 minutes on a CD to fill up, and you're also a band that hates it when people listen to you, check out 'Less Than You Think'.

*NEW ENTRY* ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, 'Worlds Apart' - Actual quote: 'Look at those punks on MTV...with cribs...and shit; is that what being celebrity means?!'  Gee.  How profound.

*GRAND PRIZE WINNER*
Polyphonic Spree, 'A Long Day' - I actually saw these guys live by chance a couple years ago, before I even knew who they were.  Exhilirated, I bought the album at the concert, and loved up until song 10, or, more accurately, the second half of the fuck*ng album.  At over 36 minutes, 'A Long Day' is nothing more than a tone experiment that changes a voice pitch once every ten minutes, and literally does nothing else.  If I ever meet a member of the Polyphonic Spree again I will kick his or her flower-loving, music-bullshitting ass.

There you go; not quite 15, but I think that's a quality sampling of all the pent up rage I have inside.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2005, 04:43:53 am »

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles - Just one of about 50 reasons to kick Paul McCartney in the face. A very high-up reason too.


BatzRadio is not my friend.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2005, 05:03:55 am »

Quote from: "Max"

The Postal Service, 'This Place is a Prison' - When Ben Gibbard lyrical sadness joins forces with Jim Tamborello electronic sadness, they form...shit.

Radiohead, 'Treefingers' - If this selection seems controversial to you, congratulations, you are a pretentious dick.

Wilco, 'Less Than You Think' - If you're a band with 15 minutes on a CD to fill up, and you're also a band that hates it when people listen to you, check out 'Less Than You Think'.


Aw... I like that Postal Service song -- perhaps since the placement I put it at on the best mix I ever made a couple years ago goes well with the theme... I admit on the album I didn't pay as much attention.

Hell, I dislike about half or more of what Radiohead has done since OK Computer.  lots of people get on my case about this, but honestly!  I heard rarities in '99 with some future Kid A tracks on it which were acoustic only, got my hopes up then wondered what in the hell happened.  perhaps I would have appreciated the new sound better if I didn't hear the acoustics.

Indeed to the Wilco track.. it's on my top 15 as well (on pg.1 of this very thread).
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2005, 05:41:04 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "BatzRadio"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles - Just one of about 50 reasons to kick Paul McCartney in the face. A very high-up reason too.


BatzRadio is not my friend.

~Paul



But but but but...I LIKED RAM!

And as far as other Paul White Album songs I liked Rocky Raccoon and Blackbird and I think just about everytrhing else Paul wrote on that album - but GODDAMN I hated that TRAAHH LAHHH HOW DEE LIFE GOES AWN.

And all other 49 reasons happened either outside of the studio (during the existence of the Beatles), or after Band on the Run.  I defy you to defend "Ebony and Ivory" even being hatched outside its' PC overtones.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2005, 05:52:37 am »

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
Also somebody mentioned earlier they didn't like "Hip Priest"? I thought it was fine - but I'm more into the long rambling songs in the first place. Was it more that it just didn't compare at all as an epic after "The NWRA"? That I can agree on.


That was me. And yeah, you had two mighty, epic songs on Grotesque: "C & C Stop Mithering" and "The N.W.R.A." (which, as an added bonus, continued the legend of the Totale family). They told stories, and were engaging - "Hip Priest" is what? Mark E. Smith making fun of record critics? That is too easy, even for its time; I've seen / heard it done better and without a gratuitous falsetto. What bugs me is that so many people hold that up as "classic / essential The Fall", when it's just that sort of song that puts off potential new listeners.

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
"World in Motion" by New Order - Sports themes (even if it is for the World Cup) are BAD.


I listen to early New Order, and then I listen to "World in Motion" and its accomplices, and I wonder if maybe they had, somewhere along the way, taken the KLF's "The Manual" a little too seriously.

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
"Electronic Renaissance" by Belle and Sebastian - Nothing against them being cheery, everything against them playing with electronics and sucking at making something entertaining. Irony that the next song on Tigermilk is probably one of their best songs ever.


I'm sorry, but this is one of my favorites off of that album. I wouldn't like a steady dose of it (although it's better than almost anything off of Waitress, unfortunately), but I think the effects actually suited the very gentle and low-key vocals Stuart was going with at the time. And that opening burst of notes is just so upbeat and good.

EDIT: Don't worry, Batz, I caught shit from Paul early in my career for missing an Al Green reference.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2005, 05:58:26 am »

Quote from: "Max"
My Bloody Valentine, 'Everything but the First Song' - Just joking, the first one sucks, too.


You could have saved a lot of time and effort by just typing in

I HATE MUSIC

and pressing "Submit".
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2005, 06:16:50 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I've seen / heard it done better and without a gratuitous falsetto. What bugs me is that so many people hold that up as "classic / essential The Fall", when it's just that sort of song that puts off potential new listeners.


Well I wouldn't call it ESSENTIAL - just merely enjoyable. I sure as hell wouldn't put it on an introductory mix CD of their stuff for new initiates. Did you happen to hear their final Peel session? I'm thinking I'd close out my latest version of what I'd make with "Blindness" (from that session).  I'm hoping the studio version turns out good and there's not another slight to the end product like with "Eat Y'Self Fitter".

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I listen to early New Order, and then I listen to "World in Motion" and its accomplices, and I wonder if maybe they had, somewhere along the way, taken the KLF's "The Manual" a little too seriously.


Well I liked most of Republic, and this latest stuff that's due out in a month is great - but the whole sports anthem motif doesn't fit the band at all, and it shows like an ugly putrid bruise.

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I'm sorry, but this is one of my favorites off of that album. I wouldn't like a steady dose of it (although it's better than almost anything off of Waitress, unfortunately), but I think the effects actually suited the very gentle and low-key vocals Stuart was going with at the time. And that opening burst of notes is just so upbeat and good.


It was just - difficult to listen to and it still is - although not as badly as it was 4 years ago when I first heard it. I guess that's due to oversaturation with beats and that discopunk thing that all the kids are into. But still, when listening to Tigermilk in the car I can't resist the urge to hit the skip button. But that might be more rooted in an urge to get to "I Could Be Dreaming" sooner.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2005, 06:46:36 am »

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
Did you happen to hear their final Peel session?


The last Peel Session I heard was from February 2003 - the one that kicked off with just a fantastic performance of "Sparta F.C.", the one that makes the album version look like an anemia patient living on a diet of sherbet and waffles.

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
I guess that's due to oversaturation with beats and that discopunk thing that all the kids are into. But still, when listening to Tigermilk in the car I can't resist the urge to hit the skip button. But that might be more rooted in an urge to get to "I Could Be Dreaming" sooner.


Yes, that song is beautiful. Do you love the girl energetically, sincerely reading the passage at the end of that song? Because it makes it for me. Also discopunk kids are basically on my Brass Knuckle List™; it is one thing to like Ladytron and another thing to live your life like you like Ladytron.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2005, 02:13:27 pm »

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
3) "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles - Just one of about 50 reasons to kick Paul McCartney in the face. A very high-up reason too.

I'll see your Ob-La-Di and raise you a Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2005, 05:21:28 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'll see your Ob-La-Di and raise you a Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring.


Haha. Same place in hell they will both end up, indeed. Ugh!
They kept playing the Offspring version on the radio when I used to listen to the radio and it was I think their worst moment in history. I still qill occasionally put Ixnay on, but after that they were just selling out fast.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2005, 05:56:27 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'll see your Ob-La-Di and raise you a Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring.


Haha. Same place in hell they will both end up, indeed. Ugh!
They kept playing the Offspring version on the radio when I used to listen to the radio and it was I think their worst moment in history. I still qill occasionally put Ixnay on, but after that they were just selling out fast.


I dunno... there's also this, which, (although this'll regrettably show my age pretty clearly), I will forever associate with aerobics in seventh-grade gym class.  My teacher thought he was pretty hip with what the kids were into, which was apparently running up and down stairs then throwing medicine balls at one another while listening to the Offspring.  Sadly, to the majority of my peers, he was probably right.

</digression into scarring childhood>
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2005, 07:26:49 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"


</digression into scarring childhood>


Was that not on the same album? I think it was. i think it was all Americana. It really was a fairly dire jump into being shills. Ixnay I reckon has some good stuff on it, some well thought out melodies and harmonies, though OK, it's still just not real punk...
I guess you have to remember that Dexter started the band with his high school's janitor. Doesn't bode well for coolness.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2005, 07:51:04 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "andalucia"


</digression into scarring childhood>


Was that not on the same album? I think it was. i think it was all Americana.

Indeed they are both on Americana. I only mentioned Why Don't You Get a Job? because it's derived form Ob-la-di. And mananges to make it worse.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up