Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy Slint  (Read 2190 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Heavy Slint
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:38:03 am »

Anyone else catch Slint yet?  Show in Seattle was great.  Opened with Good Morning Captain, great because it was the first song I ever heard by them.  They played all of Spiderland and the EP (all two songs), and a good portion of Tweez and a couple songs I didn't know, which could have also been from Tweez because I've never owned Tweez.

Was amazed how heavy they were.  Much more so than on record, I think.  Anyway, I thought they just killed.  Wish I could see them again, but it sounds like this was a one time deal.  Go see them if they are touring nearby and you can still get tickets.

Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.  Looks like another good year for live music.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Heavy Slint
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:16:53 am »

I am still waiting for them to announce a date in my town.  If they come i'll be there.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Heavy Slint
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:58:30 am »

Friday, man.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Heavy Slint
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:44:48 pm »

I downloaded the mp3s of one of the new concerts and I know it's not enough but if I acknowledge that it isn't enough I'll get all whiny that they are never, would never come to Minnesota. Because who would do that.

Anyhow I was kind of amazed how they sounded exactly the same.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Heavy Slint
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:59:00 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Heavy Slint
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 07:03:39 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.


That's what my friend over there told me.  I guess he overheard Calvin Johnson talking about it at a show.  This is good news, which I need because pretty much everything else sucks right now.  Or, just school.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Heavy Slint
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 07:10:02 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.


That's what my friend over there told me.  I guess he overheard Calvin Johnson talking about it at a show.  This is good news, which I need because pretty much everything else sucks right now.  Or, just school.

I'll just go ahead and echo that, loudly, multiple times.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Heavy Slint
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 10:37:10 pm »

Jesus, the Slint show was amazing. Technically amazing, musically amazing...jesus. And the crazy thing was, I was standing there, and the lights came up, and I thought to myself, "That's odd, the bassist looks like Todd, from where I used to work." And, as it turned out, it was. I never even knew he played the bass. WEIRD.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Heavy Slint
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:06:52 pm »

It turns out a guy I know fairly well used to be in the Decemberists.

Tangential connection!!

Sorry. Upon re-reading this, I find someone might get the impression that I am implying a connection to Slint. I'm actually echoing those old threads about famous connections. This is about my closest one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Heavy Slint
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 08:42:39 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Jesus, the Slint show was amazing. Technically amazing, musically amazing...jesus. And the crazy thing was, I was standing there, and the lights came up, and I thought to myself, "That's odd, the bassist looks like Todd, from where I used to work." And, as it turned out, it was. I never even knew he played the bass. WEIRD.


Was it that dude with the long hair?  Or someone different?

The only Slint member I recognized was Pajo.  I guess there aren't too many band photos out there, at least that I have seen, and they look different on the cover of Spiderland.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Heavy Slint
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 09:06:41 pm »

Yeah, the guy with the long hair; he used to work at the attached store of the restaurant I worked at.
How creepy was it that nobody in the band ever changed their facial expressions?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Heavy Slint
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 01:02:35 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Yeah, the guy with the long hair; he used to work at the attached store of the restaurant I worked at.
How creepy was it that nobody in the band ever changed their facial expressions?


Yeah, for as much rocking as they did, they were pretty tame, physically.  I was thinking maybe Pajo would make a cool guitar face during the Washer solo, but nope.

But God, it was a great show.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up