Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image editing software  (Read 3100 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Image editing software
« on: April 15, 2005, 06:47:48 pm »

With my computer taking the dirt nap, I am now trying to find a new piece of image editing software. In the past, I'd used a "liberated" version of Paint Shop Pro 7, but I'm interested in trying something else from amongst the free, open-source community. Any suggestions? I don't do huge amounts of detailed graphics work, I just need something to make the occasional graphic for my website. Something like the TOUAMB logo up there in the corner would be about the upper boundary of my needs.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Image editing software
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 07:19:03 pm »

Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Image editing software
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:00:37 pm »

I've got to second that one. I've been learning the GIMP lately, and it's been handy for putting figures together for papers, presentations, etc...
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Image editing software
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 09:16:58 pm »

I was afraid of that... last time I installed The GIMP, it wouldn't load - got to a point and then hung up the computer. Had to unplug the damn thing to get it to reset.

It did it this time, too, but just for the hell of it I ran it a second time and it worked. So now I'm fiddling around with it. It'll be an adventure learning the new keystrokes (Ctrl-D for "duplicate" instead of "deselect" like I'm used to), but we'll give it a go.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Image editing software
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 09:22:17 pm »

I keep wanting to get into using Gimp but never quite manage to. First time I used it it was just a bit lame. It had more in common with Paint than Photoshop and so I just didn't bother. I keep meaning to give it a go now, but  everytime it crosses my mind I am working in some capacity that involves using Photoshop all the time and so I just stick with that.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Image editing software
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 03:02:03 am »

I used Photoshop to make the TOUMB logo (I should have used Illustrator, but I never bothered to learn how to use it so I pretty much just use Photoshop for everything image related).

Why open source?  Just because of money?

PM me and maybe the software fairy can find something for you to use.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Image editing software
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 01:48:23 am »

As long as we're on the subject, does anyone know of a website offering decent GIMP tutorials?  I'm trying to hone my skillz for when I take over the college paper next year.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Image editing software
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 02:41:08 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Why open source?  Just because of money?


Mostly money, but there's also a part of me inside that melts every time these companies spend assloads of money developing bloated products, and then position them so that you're a Neanderthal unless you've spent the $300 for it, then some group of nerds gets together, builds another program that does basically the same thing, and gives it away for free.

I am a little distressed that Gimp doesn't have shape-drawing tools. That would seem to be a pretty basic thing that should be in a program of this type.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Image editing software
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 02:43:30 pm »

Using Selections to make Shapes

This is a silly way to do things.  I agree, they should just put a damn shape tool in.  How hard is that?  It's probably a plugin somewhere.  gimp.org/tutorials has a few descriptions.  I think there's also a manual somewhere on the site.

_____________
Middling.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up