Well, there were DEFINITELY some problems at The Planet over the past, oh, SIX MONTHS with partial connectivity, lag, latency, and other things that basically meant that the server that housed plagiarist.com was either slow or inaccessible.
Anyway, this move to Liquid Web is a big positive step, even if I now have two open tickets for minor problems that have been unanswered for a week, and a billing problem (overcharge) that they still have not credited.
But I'm confident that once I get these issues ironed out that they'll be good. I've gotten pretty handy with the server software and security issues (even if I didn't upgrade phpBB when I needed to and was affected by that stupid worm). So all I need my datacenter to do is pretty much keep the hardware running and keep the big pipe connected and accessible.
And they have been very good in this regard so far. They haven't had downtime in over three years. That's a pretty good track record. And while I fully expect them to have *some* problems in the future (no datacenter is perfect) they have a good solid reputation.
Also, I am paying nearly twice what I was paying before, but if it means that the box will be up and fast it'll be *so* worth it.
A friend of mine had a site get "slash dotted" a few months ago, and his box never went down, never had too high of a load, and everything just WORKED. So that impressed me with Liquid Web enough to go with them.
Now I have a server that barely shows any load - before I was getting load warnings EVERY DAY. So I guess I should step up my hosting advertising a little - this new box could probably handle another 100 sites.