Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miller's Crossing  (Read 2465 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« on: July 11, 2005, 05:08:53 am »

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

I finally, finally, finally watched this movie.  And what a great movie it is.  Best since Chinatown in my book.

It was one of those that I'd always meant to watch.  However, it was supposed to be so dang good that I want the circumstances to be just right.  It finally happened and I saw it through.

So much great writing -- It kept reminding me of Shakespeare with it's infinite twist and turns.  

So much great photography.  Trees.  Hats.  Faces.

So much great acting.  Turturro is just, dang, wow.   Why do we not see more of Jon Polito? (although he was my favorite in Homicide).  I always love Albert Finney, but what a fuck*ng badass he is in this movie with a Tommy Gun.  And yes, Gabriel Byrne understates his way to perfection.

I'm sorry, I know I'm gushing.  I know that this is a flick that everybody knows and I should too.  But accident of fate and coincidence I never got to see it.  It's great and it's on my all time list now.

I fuck*ng hate the damn Coen Brothers.  Why should they be so fuck*ng talented?  And Frances McDormand looks really hot with red hair.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:35:45 am »

Okay, as a cineaste I guess I should be embarrassed to say that this is the only Coen Bros. movie that I have not yet seen, and that I've been "saving it" for a rainy day when I was depressed about how lousy the other movies are.

Anyway, after reading this post I'll have to watch it.  I actually have the DVD - I've just been saving it on my shelf to watch in a time of CRISIS much like I had been with Hitchcock's "The Wrong Man" until I needed to clense my palate from some other horrible film I saw earlier this year.

Oh, and I still haven't watched "Singin' in the Rain" yet either, but I feel good knowing it's there on my DVD shelf any time I need it.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:05:55 am »

It's always been one of my favourite Coen brothers movies, and one of my favourite movies regardless I think. Indeed, trees and hats. And music.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:39:14 pm »

I saw this movie, but unlike  you, didn't insure that the conditions were perfect.  I was distracted so I missed a lot of the subtlety.  I need to watch this again because I want to feel that warm glow a great movie can give you.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 03:24:56 pm »

I  :heart: Joel and Ethan Coen.  They're dreeeeeeamy.  My husband and I communicate in a secret pigeon* that is about 50% Coen Bros. quotes.

I'm looking forward to watching that one again.  That's the only one of their films I've seen only once.  Won't be able to say that much longer.

I also need to pick up a copy of The Hudsucker Proxy.

* How many times has this happened to you?  You make a short remark to your SO in your secret language of shared experience, and some other person says "What?" and you realize it will require about ten minutes to explain what you meant, and it is so not worth it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 03:59:14 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
communicate in a secret pigeon*


Not to pick nits, but it's pidgin.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 04:16:41 pm »

So is this the film you would recomend if I were interested in exploring more of the Coen brother's oeuvre?

The Hudsucker Proxy is one of my favorite films, by far, but I've only seen three Coen films in their entirety (Fargo, The Man Who Wasn't There).  The bits of O Brother, Where Art Thou? I saw were brilliant, but I must confess that I gave up on Raising Arizona, because it just wasn't doing anything for me.

Suggestions?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 04:30:35 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"

Suggestions?


There was just an entire thread devoted to this if I remember correctly, but the Big Lebowski is probably the greatest movie ever.

Maybe not, but do watch it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 04:42:11 pm »

I haven't seen every Coen Bro's film, but most and the one that gave me the most enjoyment was Fargo.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 05:23:23 pm »

ha, my ignorance is gigantic and can not be stopped by mankind, raaaawr!

i never knew those movies were all coen movies.

sure are good movies, though.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 04:27:30 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "Va"
communicate in a secret pigeon*


Not to pick nits, but it's pidgin.


You are so right.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 04:39:12 pm »

I thought it was stoolie.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 05:00:47 pm »

Now this is on LONG WAIT from Netflix.

Did someone here rent their copy?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 05:47:31 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Now this is on LONG WAIT from Netflix.

Did someone here rent their copy?


Not me, I TIVO'ed it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Miller's Crossing
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 07:45:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Now this is on LONG WAIT from Netflix.

Did someone here rent their copy?


My gf picked it up at Blockbuster.  However, they only had it on video (loosers), so I might have to watch it again on glourius DVD.  As a point of pride.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: [1]   Go Up