Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audioscrobbler  (Read 6527 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2004, 08:03:17 pm »

Okay, I'll play along.

It would be great if this thing had a plugin for Musicmatch Jukebox, though. I know it's really not a good program. I know this. But (a) I love the way the library is displayed (b) it rips CDs like some kind of city-folk electrified CD rippin' machine and (c) Super Tagging.

This is probably a good thing, actually. If I get back into the habit of using Winamp for listening to music, I'll probably spend a lot less time thinking about songs and actually playing them. With my relatively ancient machine, I often go without rather than disrupt / grind to a halt the nine other things I'm doing by starting up fuck*ng Musicmatch.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2004, 02:57:04 pm »

I do not like to post in the same thread twice in a row, but I am confused about how to read this damn site, sometimes.

Consider the statistics for Lush, for example. I'm assuming that Ladykillers (which isn't really representative of their oeuvre dammit) has been played by users 965 times. OK.

The "Top Fans" numbers / bars (scroll down) don't make a fuck*ng lick of sense to me, though, and this is what I would like someone cleverer / more clued-in than your correspondent to explain, please. Along with any other nuances that may later come along to fuck me up.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2004, 03:44:30 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
The "Top Fans" numbers / bars (scroll down) don't make a fuck*ng lick of sense to me, though, and this is what I would like someone cleverer / more clued-in than your correspondent to explain, please. Along with any other nuances that may later come along to fuck me up.

The numbers listed are: rank in user's Top Artists/#of plays. The order users are listed is determined by dividing these numbers.

The length of the bar is based only on the rank # which is why they don't pregess evenly. Because up until last week they didn't do the division part. But that was unfair because it was listing somebody with the numbers 1/54 as a bigger fan than a user with 2/309. The division was meant to fix that but they haven't changed the bar-length algorithm yet.

They are trying out different methods to make Top Fans more fair, but it's difficult to keep older users from getting an advantage. They're also trying to make it more fair for artists who have fewer songs.

There's a long, long thread about it in the Development forum if you like math and/or programming.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 03:41:40 pm »

Wow, this thread is almost a year old.  I didn't really start using last.fm and Audioscrobbler regularly until recently, and just this morning I noticed that the Audioscrobbler site is gone, replaced with a "New Site Coming Soon" message.  

Did they announce anything about changes coming up soon?  It does still seem to be taking song submissions.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 04:04:49 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Wow, this thread is almost a year old.  I didn't really start using last.fm and Audioscrobbler regularly until recently, and just this morning I noticed that the Audioscrobbler site is gone, replaced with a "New Site Coming Soon" message.  

Did they announce anything about changes coming up soon?  It does still seem to be taking song submissions.

It's a major redesign. The main change (aside from layout) is that last.fm is now the primary site and audioscrobbler.com will basically just be a redirect from now on. The new site will also include album support. However it will only recognize albums that are on musicbrainz.org.

They estimated that it would be live today but seeing as it's already 6pm their time I'm thinking tomorrow at the earliest.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up