Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "It was a dark and stormy night"  (Read 1705 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
"It was a dark and stormy night"
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:49:35 am »

The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest is an annual ...contest which asks for the worst possible opening sentence to a novel.

It's spawned an unrelated offshoot, the Lyttle Lytton Contest, which asks submitters to limit themselves to 25 words. On a whim earlier this year, I sent in a sentence. I won. I guess this is something to be proud of?

By the way, he actually missed a comma between the last two words.

edited to add some following potential entries for next year's lyttle lytton:
--
Hawkman bided ferociously, chewing his cuticle (right pinky) until a largish speck of skin peeled back -- you know the feeling, right? -- and murmured in pain.
--
What goes on in D'Shawn Guttmanssdottir's eyeglasses case?
--
"Oi, ye allways does thaht, Bernie," shouted his stout, hairy, damnit-won't-you-leave-me-alone, beloved Third Concubine.
--
When I approached my editor (also a college ex-girlfriend, don't you know, and kind of lousy in the sack) about this book, she was ambivalent.

Y'all got any?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
"It was a dark and stormy night"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:47:16 am »

You're the one who wrote the surfing sentence? You rock my small, self-centered universe.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this one, and I think I have some strong candidates. I'm particularly interested in the Big Lytton, since an entire paragraph really gives you room to work. Right now I have the ending sentence to my paragraph, and the rest is slowly coming along.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
"It was a dark and stormy night"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:33:17 am »

A friend of mine sent in a sentence that I wrote without giving me credit (not that I mind, since he does it all the time):

Get ready to take a virtual tour of sydney australia through the backyards of a kangaroo who will punch you in the head fifty times!

It was one of a number of quotes that he just took from our casual conversations and submitted to the contest. That was probably one of the poorer ones, but whatever.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up