Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man  (Read 7207 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 04:49:47 pm »

Well gosh, that puts things in perspective, don't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 05:00:34 pm »

that's nothing! When I came to the US, we didnt' even have oxygen! We had to buy a tree to put in our house, and stand near it all day-- otherwise, we would have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Some days there was not enough to go around, and mama and papa had to take turns breathing. you soft americans, complaining about your collapsing ceilings and houses-- at least you have oxygen! And water, sometimes.

*Edit: I was not going for the "you kids these days! always complaining!", I was going for the "that's nothing! I... I... I died! Yesterday! Beat that!"*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 05:10:15 pm »

Quote from: "Emergent_C"
And I'm still as homeless as Showbiz, livin' off the kindness of others.


I think being made homeless by a natural disaster is much more valid than being on the lam from Rockford-Fosgate. I hope your mail comes early this week, and...our thoughts are with you? I'm awful with this sort of thing. My real reaction is something like "Shit, dude- your house? Shitttttt. That is...that is...damn.", but I want to convey something more helpful.
If you can get to New York, we've got a spare bedroom.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and ALL THE MINI-SOAPS YOU CAN USE.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2005, 05:48:03 pm »

Thanks for the offer of unlimited mini-soaps, Bozack. And the self-manufactured oxygen thing was quite funny. Yes, I am living in Circumstances, and dang if it ain't all confusing, frustrating and freak-out inducing. I'd move away if I could figure out somewhere else I'd like to live, but mostly I'm staying because I have an awesome job and would absolutely HATE to have to deal with looking for/starting a new one. Of course, said awesome job is more than an hour away from where I'm currently staying -- a commute which involves loooooong stretches of uninhabitable, war-zone-esque scenery. Heavy times, dog, heavy times.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:33 pm »

Quote from: "Emergent_C"
...a commute which involves loooooong stretches of uninhabitable, war-zone-esque scenery...


Well, at least now you know what's beyond Thunderdome.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2005, 08:08:17 pm »

Ye gods and little giraffees. Best wishes in getting out of Circumstances, C; that's damn harsh.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2005, 10:44:04 pm »

yes, to clarify once again, I was not trying making light in a rude way. The Circumstances suck "hardcore," as the kids are wont to say. I wish you both luck in fixing your bath/ceiling and house/lake situations.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2005, 11:47:03 pm »

One of my relatives, a cousin of sorts is paying rent to live in a small house. It's not a bad house, but it is kind of dilapidated-looing on the outside and such. He lives in a neighborhood in a small town where a few of the nearby houses on his street are for rent. The person who owns these particular houses is mildly notorious for lagging in getting repairs done on said houses. It took months to get a replacement for a old, creaky side door installed, complete with the creaking, rotted wood doorframe torn out and replaced with sturdier stuff. There's still some things going down in the tiny bathroom that warrant attention tho, and there's been one excuse after excuse after flat-out non-answer after another.

Apparently, the word on the street, the scuttlebutt is that said owner is known to stall in paying off repair people, esp. the solo freelancers (as opposed to the local repair people, contractors and plumbers outfits that consist of a handful of people) and that the owner is stingy with said pay. So said owner finds it difficult to hire people to do jobs on the houses because they don't want to put up with said aggravation, low pay and again, from what I hear, frequent reamings and naggings that would come with the work.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2005, 06:50:43 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

What shade is too dark for the Aveda store?


anything darker than, say, rich white girl.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2005, 03:09:26 pm »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

What shade is too dark for the Aveda store?


anything darker than, say, rich white girl.


Oh - you are funny.

To keep my usually long story short:  Being that I am a girl who is not white, and more importantly doesn't look like money, I walked into the Aveda salon without and apointment.  They looked at me and chuckled, but set me up with a stylist who gave me an aromatherapy massage, shampoo and cut.  During the whole process I was freaking out internally, perpairing myself to pay a scary amount for a cut.  It was the most expensive, but also most skilled, hair cut I'd ever gotten, and also I felt like I had something to prove.  I am worthy of a $50 hair cut!  So there!  So I continued to return.  Then after about 10 visits or so, my stylist upped the price by $15 without warning me before she cut my hair, and also gave me a mowhawk even though I didn't want one.  I never returned.

Also, C, I'm sending my love down the well.  I hope your insurance check is big and fat and has a number ending with exclaimation marks!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2005, 05:54:21 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Things actually aren't as bad as they sound- for some reason, all of the bad things that happen to me are spectacularly bad, and thus make great anecdotes.

This is quite possibly the most positive outlook on life ever. This is the kind of shit that makes Ned Flanders seeth with jealousy that you're turning more cheeks than him.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2005, 06:39:29 pm »

mann
you're like Aeneas or something. there's this one line in the Aeneid that's like ... "but one day, perhaps it will please us to recall even these things." That's like the ultimate in optimism, for sure.

Yes, I did go there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2005, 06:49:45 pm »

Quote from: "theinevitable"
mann
you're like Aeneas or something. there's this one line in the Aeneid that's like ... "but one day, perhaps it will please us to recall even these things." That's like the ultimate in optimism, for sure.

Yes, I did go there.

I try to hold to that sort of thing; it's easy in college, where even desperately terrible situations pass quickly enough that within a few months they're story fodder. ("Hey, did I ever tell you about my ex-roommate?") Applying it to the Real World seems more difficult.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2005, 03:36:28 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
things that, one day, perhaps it will please us to recall even


I think pretty much everyone I know who lives in NYC has had their ceiling collapse.  It's like a rite of passage or something.  If it's any consolation, in my building it's not the bathroom ceilings that collapse but the living room ceilings (due, I guess, to leaky radiators).
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2005, 11:27:36 pm »

Yeah, I try to remember the following phrase every time something bizarre and shitty happens: This will all look GREAT in the novel!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up