Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 21984 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2006, 12:20:48 am »

This is quite likely why I've had more success with the cocoabo then as my most successful char is only at the tail end of it's 2nd ascension run. 

Yeah, the way it goes is sort of that eventually you start thinking "Hm, do I really need my cocoabo/raincloud/squid/pickle/whatever to get me through this part?" So you try it with a volleyball instead, and the answer is either "yes, you do, so get that combat-support familiar back out" or "no, not really, and so the volleyball gets you to the tough stuff faster". If your interest in going quickly grows, you start pushing the envelope and looking for new ways to get through stuff before you thought you could. Eventually, maybe you bite the bullet and ascend with your volleyball at 20 pounds, bring it to the starting areas and find yourself getting the first few levels at ludicrous speed. At that point, when you try to go back to not using a stat familiar, those first few levels start seeming exasperatingly slow. At that point.. you've been hooked.

The cheshire bat or cymbal-playing monkey makes this doubly seductive for hardcore mode, because it also gives you piles of meat. You don't notice them when you're using it, but then you unequip it and suddenly not only are your stat gains crap, you can't afford anything either.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2006, 06:01:13 pm »

I've started using stat familiars more and more, but I'm sort of overly fond of my ridiculous killcounts on my multis' kept familiars at the moment; I figure I'm only an ascension or two away from breaking 10K kills on my squid. That said, I probably will start taking my monkey on my HCO alt; even with 4000 kills on the Pickle... well, I don't know. I'll think about it.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »

This is just a note to say that "4000 Kills on the Pickle" would be an excellent name for:

  • A sexual position
  • A covered dish
  • A punk band
  • One of Frank Zappa's kids
  • A Phillip K Dick novel
  • My Car
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up