Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People  (Read 11448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sam_spade

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2006, 02:38:43 am »

If I was in the fight, I'd have a fake hand with a two-foot spike that's also a Tazer gatling setup (continuous 10,000 volt delivery system).  I'd do great until I run out of juice.
Logged

jcreed

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://jcreed.org
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2006, 02:48:25 am »

.... What's less clear is why he's building a rep for himself as a nice guy ("good people"); how is that going to help the two of them in the fight? ...

Oh, it's clear why Beef is putting on this act. Just think about it. Up until Beef, with this very arc, starting giving him a run for his money, Nice Pete was unquestionably the most edge-away-slowly freakin' crazy bad-ass character in the strip. What did it? Not the serial murdering. It was the niceness on top of it. A man who runs over Doyle Headley with a motorbike, well, you stay out of his way. A man who runs over Doyle Headley on a motorbike and makes a point of leaving you five bucks for a Polish sausage, and calls you "amigo" - what the shit do you do about that? These actions convey that a man has decided on his own rules for life: rules that he will not tell you about, and leave you to guess them... or die trying.
Logged

Shii

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2006, 03:32:49 am »

I know this gossipy hot dog chef archetype well. Actually I'm thinking of the gossipy root beer stand proprietor from Borgel, but they are basically the same thing.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2006, 03:37:58 am »

Also, the quiet and polite guy is going to make a different impression on those who know better than a some guy, full of the cheap barroom brawler braggadacio that some mistake for manliness and true machismo, who thumps his chest and draws attention to himself loudly.

You're going to keep you're eye on the quiet one. Cause maybe, he's really confident. Because he's that good and doesn't need to show off. Because he is truly capital-C Cool.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2006, 03:46:43 am »

Oh man this story arc is so good it's causing speculation.  Speculation I tell you.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2006, 04:36:38 am »

You guys who are trying to predict the outcome are getting it all wrong.  Tomorrow there won't be a strip (because it's Thursday) and then Friday will just be Fun Facts with Philippe and then next week there will be a new thread.  I mean, wouldn't THAT be just like Onstad?

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2006, 05:38:42 pm »

1.) Is that a shotgun the Hot Dog Chef is wielding in panel one?

2.) "You're good people" reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's short story, "Good Country People."  This heightens the creepiness level of the strip considerably.

3.)
If I was in the fight, I'd have a fake hand with a two-foot spike that's also a Tazer gatling setup (continuous 10,000 volt delivery system).  I'd do great until I run out of juice.

BOARD WITH A NAIL THROUGH IT:


Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2006, 05:52:37 pm »


2.) "You're good people" reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's short story, "Good Country People."  This heightens the creepiness level of the strip considerably.


Now I must steal your wooden leg.

It's bad when you rip your ownself off. 

Post 3333!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2006, 06:01:51 pm »

Now I must steal your wooden leg.

From now on I shall know you as Manley Pointer.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2006, 07:27:27 pm »

You guys who are trying to predict the outcome are getting it all wrong.  Tomorrow there won't be a strip (because it's Thursday) and then Friday will just be Fun Facts with Philippe and then next week there will be a new thread.  I mean, wouldn't THAT be just like Onstad?

All Ray and Roast Beef sitting at the TV talking about sitcoms; all blog entry late next week saying "Beef and I tried to do a thing but it didn't work out."
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up