Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player  (Read 5471 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 02:06:38 am »

Well us geeks have to stick together, right?

Not necessarily.  They make Astroglide for that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 03:42:58 am »

I have recently signed up with eMusic and I think I like it.  They have a two-week trial in which you get 50 free tracks (at least it was when I signed up--their splash page seems to have a different number every time).  Thereafter, for $9.99 a month you get 40 tracks, so basically 3 or so full-length albums for less than the price of one disc each month (they do expire if you don't use them over the course of the month though).  MP3s, copyable anywhere, no DRM crap.  I know wombat said she doesn't want a subscription service, but I think it's a good deal.  Pretty good selection of indie stuff, and they're building up a good back catalog--I just downloaded Fugazi's Repeater.

If anyone's interested, PM me your e-mail address--I get bonus downloads if I refer anyone who signs up.  The referral page says you get the 50 freebies for the trial, so there you go.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 04:45:58 am »

I've been an eMusic member since '99 and I've been happy with them. They also offer a yearly plan that costs 20% less than the monthly. I recently did 1 year at 65 tracks/mo to get some back-catalog stuff I'd been eyeing then dropped back to 40/month after that to just keep up with new and new-to-me stuff.
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:35 am »

Signed up for the free eMusic about a year ago, they had a live CD of a great local band who may never record an actual CD, had a bunch of downloads left over, so looked around a bit. Still had stuff I desperately wanted when I ran out, so I got the 10 dollar program. Took about 10 days before I decided to upgrade my account to the $20/mo. I swear by it now. (Though, if you don't use your downloads by the end of the month, they don't rollover, so for the situation you described, you might want to stick to a pay per download program. I've heard more than a couple people rave about that Russian site (I'm assuming it's the same one))

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »

I had the most amazing dream last night

I forgot to mention why I posted my dream in this thread (not that anyone was interested enough to make a comment), but I wanted to tell Wombat that I agree it's nice to actually have the records (CDs) so you can check out the liner notes and pictures of the band and what not, but if you are like me, you can't read the liner notes anyway because they print everything so terribly small.  that's one thing I really miss about old time records, the size of the pictures.  I think the downloads should come with 12" Vinyl sized liner notes, sent via the mail*. 

~Paul

*For a modest fee.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 03:01:52 pm »

Ah!

Yes, I am an old-timer and like to have liner notes etc too.  At this point I'm mostly only looking to buy things I already have on vinyl, so I have that stuff (the large print version!).  Given our previous discussions of buying used books and copying CDs, you can probably guess that I would only buy stuff from the Russians that I'd already bought legitimately at some time.  God knows that Bruce Springsteen will still be able to put food on the table if I don't buy "Tunnel of Love" in a royalty-generating way a second time in my life.

I'd also like to be able to buy one or two songs of bands I haven't heard so I can figure out if I want to buy the actual CD.  But I still can't imagine doing this often enough to warrant a subscription service.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 04:04:17 pm »

I might get shot for saying it, but for big, major label acts (like Bruce Springsteen), a service like BMG can be a good deal.  I think in the end it works out to be like $5-$8 a CD.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: shopping to feed wombat's MP3 player
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 04:57:10 pm »

Back when eMusic charged 99-cents a track or $9.99 an album (the olden days, before we knew better) they would occasionally have a pdf of the liner notes you could download. The only one I actually snagged was TMBG - Long Tall Weekend.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up