I found myself on the sofa too tired to move or change the channel ( my seven-month-old daughter started Labor Day weekend with four teeth and ended it with eight ) and found myself watching something on MTV called Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica.
It concerns the foibles of a newly married couple, both of whom are minor-league teen pop stars. Nick was one of the Meaty Cheesy Boys, I think, and reminds me of a young Chris Isaak, minus the intelligence and charm. Jessica is the RC Cola of slutty-yet-virginal blonde singers.
The episode I caught lays bare Jessica's concerns for their marriage. Specifically, the audition process for Nick's upcoming USO show at a local outlet mall,which will select four foxy young whores to grind their privates against her husband. He seems to be showing a little too much enthusiasm for the process, bringing his little brother along and barely acknowledging his wife. Nick's team of handlers explain away the whole thing, but Jessica's not having it.
Jessica then does what any of us would do: she spends $763 on two pairs of lingerie to get her husband's attention, then experiences buyer's remorse. She calls Nick to get some advice, but he's too busy dining with the four foxy whores he's selected to be of much help.
I could go on at length about this - oh, shit, I already have - but has anyone else here seen this show? More to the point, will any of you admit it if you have?
I know this is a pre-packaged MTV product edited to make the protagonists look like complete idiots, but there was a certain through-the-looking-glass quality to this show that I found utterly engrossing. At first, Jessica's concerns seem ridiculous, until you realize that she should be - Nick is not smart enough to conceal his enthusiasm for auditioning the whores. And then the episode ends with scenes from Jessica's new video - where she writhes around half-dressed with a hot guy on a bed. And the bed is on the beach.
Next week, they're both going camping. I can't wait.
Good Christ, I need to get some sleep.