Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)  (Read 11847 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2006, 04:42:33 am »

I love all music, especially yours.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2006, 02:34:28 pm »

I listen to everything good. If it's Russian or klezma it can only be a plus...
I could never make a list, not even of films, food...

Plus, much as I like them, and great as they were, I'd be a little harsh on The Beatles.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2006, 03:17:05 pm »

Slink reminds me of the line that Peter Schickele (the 'discoverer' of PDQ Bach) uses on his radio show:  If it sounds good, it is good.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2006, 06:45:57 pm »

I just heard Nights on Broadway and OMG I can't listen to this song now without hearing the theme song to The Barry Gibb Talk Show.

But anyway I noticed something a little off in the lyrics

Quote
Blamin’ it all on the nights on broadway
Singin’ them sweet sounds
To that crazy, crazy town.

Uh guys, Broadway is a street, it's not a town.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »

In fact, the topic of the White Stripes came up at my band's practice two weeks ago.  When I disinterestedly stated that they were "the most over-rated band in the entire history of Western music," our singer got so pissed you'd think I had fingered his wife.  It's just a band.  Who cares?

So now I like the White Stripes even less: they're over-rated and they made one of my best friends angry and condescending for a few minutes.

Well they're over-rated but I wouldn't go THAT far. The Eagles have that spot far and fuck*ng away.

I did like the last White Stripes album though - at least the quieter songs. It wasn't breaking any sort of new ground at all, but I at least thought "White Moon" was a pretty song. But still - they're not the creative geniuses these kiddies think they are.

They're not even the most creative current band in the whole Detroit garage scene. By a million miles that's the Dirtbombs.

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2006, 09:18:18 pm »

Somebody mentioned the Doors - I can't imagine that band being in anyone's top ten list. That just stuns me. I thought Golf's list was interesting, though. And I really like Clutch - but again, couldn't make my top ten list.

Most of the stuff on my list doesn't make the critics or hip kids happy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Ranking Music (The Beatles Are better than Jesus)
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2006, 07:07:48 am »

I'm confused.  Is this an attempt at finding a universal best list, or to express people's own opinions?  Because personally I can definitely appreciate the artistic and cultural importance of bands such as the Beatles or Led Zeppelin, but if I were to make a list of my personal favorites, I don't think any of the bands listed in this entire thread would even make it into my top 50.  They just aren't really my style, and while I can be in the mood for them at times, and may even experience mild obsession about some of them at other times, I just couldn't truthfully call them favorites.  I mean, I saw the Beatles' Sgt Pepper CD for one dollar and I feel like I paid an ok price for it (I had to think about the purchase a bit).

I guess my point is that it's possible for my musical interests to be so orthogonal to the general opinion that I don't think a universal list could exist, and that to argue about the inclusion of anything on someone else's list really doesn't make much sense.

I just tried to make a really short version of just some of my favorite bands and it already has gotten to be over 40 bands long.  That might be a bit ridiculous to post.
Logged
~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up