Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums of Today  (Read 6627 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 04:09:20 am »

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Hot Chip album. Not sure if they're heard of over there or not.

Well, I know of them, but only 'cause of a london guy I know talking about them in '04.  I think everything they've done is brilliant :D
I just recently ordered the new album, but have had it on my HD for the past few months or so... also own a few of the singles.  I wish the bside on the one ('A Glue Too Thick') could be found online since I just have it on vinyl and don't have a way to transfer it to mp3.  bah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 04:40:09 am »

I am ashamed/excited.

I have realized that if you combine all of the bands that I really like lately, the genre that you get is... you know.

Every time I tried to listen in the past, I hated it. I almost threw out the 7" which I bought.
Most people despite this genre.and perhaps rightly so. but recent listening has led me to warm to it. and I am enjoying it thorougly.
Of all of the styles I have listened to, this is the most similar to how I play guitar (at least, to how I want to play guitar.).

damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 04:42:06 pm »

I'm not sure if any of my albums of 2006 are from 2006 or not. I think most of them were the end of last year...
Amadou and Mariam - Dimanche a Bamako is a contender though. The Cat Empire - Cities and L'Attirail - La Bonne Aventure also.
L'Attirail for having been in my collection for only a month or two have already topped my overall list on last.fm. OK, I stopped using the plugin for a long while, but even so...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 05:53:33 pm »

Nice to have you back, slink! Nobody else lays down bands I've never even heard of as nonchalantly as you.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 07:24:48 pm »

Nice to have you back, slink! Nobody else lays down bands I've never even heard of as nonchalantly as you.

Thanks Mite.
I try. To be fair, I could add Gogol Bordello to the list, everyone must have heard of them by now. I was trying to think of something that everyone really would know of, but alas. I'll be getting Live at Crystal Palace, th enew Cake album when it arrives though!
Oh, and will add Firewater who I like, as you can listen to their whole album online. http://www.firewater.tv/radio.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:26:25 pm by slink »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up