Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?  (Read 2571 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« on: July 06, 2006, 07:06:15 pm »

this article was pretty interesting to me. And it really applies to y'all. Thoughts?
Why does cooking have to do with being interested in anything else?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 07:18:10 pm »

Well seeing as how that's more of an extrapolation of opinionation than a logical conclusion that you can actually test.


Um... I'd say people who are passionate about cooking will tend to be passionate about other things but this is not mutually exclusive.  I know people who are passionate about cars but are not passionate about cooking. 

I know people who are passionate about science but are not passionate about food.

I think what she more means is people who treat cooking as an art form.  I mean you take raw ingredients and create something wholly your own and greater than the sum of its parts.  Those going for this aesthetic are (generally) going to be hobbyists of a sort anyway.

In the end, HI I LOVE TO COOK AND OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT BUT IT IS OKAY FOR WE ALL HAVE TO EAT!!!111
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:58 pm »

I love to cook, and I am passionate about a lot of things.

To me it's kind of a backward question - some percentage of 'passionate' people are going to be passionate about cooking! It's a chicken-and-egg kind of question.

My theory is that people who pay the most attention to sensory input - music lovers, art lovers - are likely to also pay attention to great smells and flavors from cooking.

Not to mention textures, mouthfeel, and savoriness.

And good cooks are good in bed too.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:51:39 pm »

hm. So do I practice my cooking and hope that it follows?

Of course, for all I know I am a regular... um... famous person who is great in bed.

(I wanted to say Catherine the Great, but that was something else.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:32:49 pm »

hm. So do I practice my cooking and hope that it follows?

Yes, and in many cases it will. If you are the kind of person who likes to create and eat good food, maybe you want to attract someone with those interests too.

Plus creating and sharing food together is a sensual experience.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 09:51:32 pm »

and so is fuck*ng! I get it now!

sorry. I felt like being Crude for no good reason.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:54:32 pm »

I just enjoy great food. And the best way to enjoy food is to make the best food.
I guess my passion for food and cooking comes from the same place as my passion for the creative arts. Basically all of the things I do in life now I feel at least somewhat passionate about. Plus it's about the only time I feel sexy is cooking Eastern food.
Is it just me or does that make me very, very strange?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:06:35 pm »

I just enjoy great food. And the best way to enjoy food is to make the best food.
I guess my passion for food and cooking comes from the same place as my passion for the creative arts. Basically all of the things I do in life now I feel at least somewhat passionate about. Plus it's about the only time I feel sexy is cooking Eastern food.
Is it just me or does that make me very, very strange?

Not really.  I only feel sexy when I'm in a particularly charming mood or when I present a fantastically prepared meal to whoever might be visiting. 

Word.  I feel you my brother... well not like... not like that.. I'm just.. I'm just saying.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 01:41:57 am »

Everyone has a passion.  But not everyone lives passionately.  People who live passionately sometimes are so caught up in that thing they are most passionate about - ballet, curing cystic fibrosis, teaching first graders to read - that they sometimes forget to eat, or eat garbage, for days, weeks, months. 

Yet the best food, the most amazing meals, the most innovative cooks, and the most daring pallets that I've encountered have all been people in the arts.  I've learned to cook because I've been in the company of artists.  I have friends who can be so poor they can't pay their bills, who still seek out the best Chevre, the freshest bread, spend a day hunting down the specific imported ingredient that they must have.

I went to a dinner with a horde of actors.  There were about 20 of us.  We drove in three cars to the far reaches of the city for what two friends had discovered to be the best Thai food.  The small restaurant had only one other pair of diners when we walked in.  The noise from our table was the hideously self-indulgent babble that you'd expect from artists in a large group.  Then the food came.  Everyone shut the fuck up.  After a significant passage of silence, someone uttered something about the food making them high  I mumbled agreement.  After dinner, everyone else wanted to go to a movie and I had a date.  they figured out how to cram into two cars.  I was stopped at a red light, singing along to the radio at the top of my lungs.  Laughter from the car next to me.  A car load of actors with breath reeking of peanut sauce and green curry, laughing, pointing and making faces.

Also, I know where to get a good black truffle oil or champagne syrup, and where the cheapest saffron is at.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:53:09 am »

All the cooks that I know in person are lazy, terrible people.

This article is not true at all.
Logged
ACHIEVE

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Passionate Cooks = Passionate People?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 12:30:42 pm »

All the cooks that I know in person are lazy, terrible people.

This article is not true at all.

You may have a point.  I am pretty lazy.  (Also, a terrible person).

CONCLUSIVE EVIDENC'D!!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up