Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 9th circle: Computer thread redux.  (Read 4627 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The 9th circle: Computer thread redux.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 01:02:46 pm »

 No, but you should feel special because I'm going through all this trouble for you.


EDITED because I accidentally hit the "Enter" button on the goddamn Blackberry without finishing the post, and it didn't give me the option to edit or delete.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:14:57 pm by Hobot »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The 9th circle: Computer thread redux.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 12:54:37 am »

I don't know about you, but parallels screams on my 17" iMac.  I haven't tested anything graphics intensive, but firefox and gaim and opera all run at near-native speeds.  Parallels (and other VM's) also have a lot of other advantages over dual booting.  If you're ultra paranoid about malware I don't see a better solution than running FreeBSD in a VM on a mac.  It's fast enough for day-to-day use for me. 

[EDIT] Damn it just occured to me that if you're really the tinfoil hat kind you could take all your sensitive data, move it to a VM and then encrypt the VM's hard disk image with GPG or something.  I don't know if there's a vm around that can boot from a GPG'd disk image, but it would be interesting to find out.   Someone should get on this.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up