2> This was necessary on the part of the US as Soviet planning, as already exemplified, was to control areas via a satellite network of ideological puppet states.
I don't know if that's true, though.
We "lost" Vietnam, the whole place went Communist and... it turns out that, no, there weren't suddenly Communists taking Seattle. It wasn't one step in a domino theory, it was a country in civil war because of how much France had screwed it up colonially speaking and... sure... America and Russia and China and so on tinkered with it and tried to make the battle its own but...
End of the day, it was its own civil war and just because the Vietnamese Communists won Vietnam didn't mean that Pan-National Russian Communism landed in Boston and took Cape Cod. That's exaggerated, of course, but... it does lead me to wonder.
Did all these little attempts to turn local wars into Capitalist V. Communist sub-fights "win" the world for America?
From what I've been able to glean, the Cold War was "won" not through that but by (a) the USSR's own satellites rebeling from within (b) the failure of the economic model of Pure and Centrally Controlled Communism (c) Western cultural penetration and (d) bankrupting themselves in the direct military build-up of The Cold War i.e. having as much as America had.
I don't know. The mess in Iraq is kind of... forcing me to re-examine a lot of preconceived notions I've had about American history.
I mean, we overthrew a somewhat-secular ethnically Sunni military dictatorship because we were attacked by a stateless Shia theocratic organization comprised largely of Saudis and functioning out of Afghanistan and (now) Pakistan... essentially out of a Domino theory being applied to Muslim Extremism instead of Communism.
You may be right but I have my doubts about that official narrative of the Cold War.
My questions about the now force me to take a second look at parallel situations in the then.