Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!  (Read 3936 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 08:41:14 pm »

It's been a long time since I puked anywhere besides the toilet, and for any reason other than food poisoning. I'm kinda happy about that. (Not so happy about food poisoning as a general rule, but, y'know.)
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 08:43:34 pm »

It occured to me that people from places where North American ice hockey isn't well-known might not know the term "hat trick." 

Then I looked it up in Wikipedia and discovered that it was originally a cricket thing, but it's spread to hockey, football/soccer, rugby, and Nascar. 

Huh. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 10:00:27 pm »

Back in my Catholic school days, I remember being really sick and running to the bathroom, reaching the sink, and vomiting copiously.  Then my French teacher/nun, who's office was beside the bathroom started yelling at me for not vomiting in the toilet and I was crying and trying to explain that I couldn't make it.  It's a perfect episode of Catholic guilt.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 10:45:41 pm »

man, sometimes I really want to take out some Hate on those nuns. The fact that they have managed to ruin all the good associations formerly present with nuns (chaste, friendly, pious, insert Sister Act joke) by the whole Catholic School thing is pretty upsetting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 12:13:31 am »

man, sometimes I really want to take out some Hate on those nuns. The fact that they have managed to ruin all the good associations formerly present with nuns (chaste, friendly, pious, insert Sister Act joke) by the whole Catholic School thing is pretty upsetting.

I went to catholic school for one year as a secular child.  Being new to religion, as I was, they had some scary things to tell me.

At the end of the year we moved, and I started my second year of schooling in a public school.   So now, as an adult, the only associations I have with nuns involve pictures on the internet.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 12:34:43 am »

As a child, it was assumed I'd go to the Catholic elementary my mom went to (there was no Catholic high school in my town, only a K-6) and so I went to that school's associated pre-school. Though I have little memory of this, I was thrown and locked in a closet by a nun once for wanting to play instead of taking a nap... and that was the end of Catholic school for me. My parents yanked me out quickly, after that.

I sometimes wonder if that's why I've always been a little claustrophobic.

As it stands, one of my favourite Beatles stories involves John Lennon, drunk on a roof, pissing on nuns passing by, yelling "It's Raining, Nunnies!" That was one awesome dude, is all I'm saying.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 02:25:51 am »

Oh, I didn't mean to start up a "why we hate nuns thing."  I actually had plenty of really positive experiences with nuns, especially Sister Regina, the librarian who taught me to love books, and Sister McSweany who was very compasionate to me when I had pneumonia in grade three.  I always loved visiting the convent - it was so peaceful and mysterious.  I remember they would always make us lemonade as a special treat.  Basically, it was just the one nun who was a bitch.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 04:26:07 am »

Quote from: side_show
Oh, I didn't mean to start up a "why we hate nuns thing."

I was just tryin' to bring the thread back full-circle...

Piss to nuns and all the way back to pissing on nuns.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 05:13:20 am »

My catholic school was a cheap shack of lies from grades K-8, and the most horrendous offense against youth they committed was forcing the 8th graders to be "lunch monitors" for the rest of the grades K-6.

Jesus Christ, did these little bastards throw up like it was a deleted scene from the Excorcist.





I don't know how I was able to tolerate those terrible, pathetic children.   I wished they would just melt into liquid and rush down a drain somewhere.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 24 October 2006 - Wow, hat trick!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 05:30:26 am »

I didn't go to Catholic school, but Mrs. West did, K-12.  She's never told me any real horror stories.  Sorry.

They did do a pretty cool thing, though.  They had a grade school reunion.  Great idea (I'd love to see the folks from Morningside Elementary...) if a little boring for us spouses.  I did get to meet Mark Lamping, President of the St. Louis Cardinals (who just won game 3 of the dang ol' World Series tonight.) because Mrs. West knew him from small times.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up