Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums I may have missed this year?  (Read 4641 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 05:38:09 pm »

yeah, I don't know. They've been having hell of bandwidth problems this year, and every time it comes up, the tech people say that it's because some assholes have gotten their bittorrent programs to sneak past the blocking software, and are downloading hell of Filmz and Gamez. Now that I think about it... that seems really not viable. (there is a word "viable," but not "unviable?" it suggests "inviable," but that just sounds... wrong.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 07:01:10 pm »

in regards to my sig (keith)-- that reminds me. I know he did not come out this year, but I am hell of digging some Matisyahu. Possibly because I have a repressed love of Reggae and Ska. And toasting gets me all excited.

also, I just found out that the man who had My Favorite Voice died this year. WTF, Desmond Dekker?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 02:45:18 am »

Hem - Funnel Cloud.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

NobleSavage

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
  • Vegetables are murder.
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:25 am »

I wasn't really blown away with any albums this year  :P
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 05:29:50 am »

Ray Davies' Other People's Lives was pretty fantastic.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 03:49:39 pm »

I am hell of digging some Matisyahu.

You know, I've heard a couple Matisyahu tracks that were okay but... I can't help but categorize him with Rappin' Granny or... il Devo or something.  Just... marketed due to a missmatch of appearance vs the form of music being made, you know?  What's next, a post-op transvestite gospel singer?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 04:45:28 pm »

My top 3 albums this year were-

1. Aereogramme- My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go (not released outside Japan til February, but absolutely mindbogglingly brilliant). http://www.chemikal.co.uk/myheart/ [has sound and things]
2. Frightened Rabbit- Sing The Greys (best debut I've heard in years, classic indie-pop shot through with Scottish wryness). http://www.frightenedrabbit.co.uk/
3. Guillemots- Through The Windowpane (Mercury Prize nominated wonder with giddy pop magic and jazzy creativity combining perfectly, especially on the last 14 minute long track which sounds 3 minutes long) http://www.myspace.com/guillemotsmusic
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:48 am »

Quote
(The Cat Empire) Cities

craps and a half, I forgot they even put something else out.  I love Two Shoes to death, and their other release I haven't been able to get because it keeps getting back-ordered.  I need to look into this more.

Also, as for good 2006 releases...  Mischief Brew's 'songs from under the sink' is excellent, but then you'd have to already be a fan of his anarcho-folk-punk type stuff.  I'd recommend his other full-length, though.

And I may be just a bit biased, but I think that if I were to make a top-five list for that year, at the risk of taking a momentary lapse into silliness, it would go:

5. World/Inferno - Red Eyed Soul
4. World/Inferno - Red Eyed Soul
3. World/Inferno - Red Eyed Soul
2. World/Inferno - Red Eyed Soul
1. World/Inferno - Red Eyed Soul

So in short I guess that means that I cannot state that enough: completely incredible band somehow continues to be just as excellent after 10 years while not letting anyone really know that they even exist when everyone really should.
Logged
~

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 10:06:31 pm »

I don't know if they had released an album in 2006 (the probably did) but to show my obeisance to them, I will highly recommend Coheed and Cambria.  However, don't wear their clothes or put their bumper stickers on your car, because if you do it seems that you become a dick. (I have evidence) They are frequently liked by the annoying high school emo crowd, but they have some great music.

Also, Two Live Jews are way better than Matisyahu.

Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 12:31:39 am »

So... seriously, what is up with Coheed and Cambria?

I saw the video with the hoss dude and the lady and like King Neptune or somesuch, and I think I'm confusing parts of it with the opening credits to Xena.

I was all, "Man, I wonder if there's a story there or somesuch."  I got on the internet and found that the story spans like 7 albums and has nothing to do with the videos but it's all fantastical and interlaced and ...

Basically it's a seven disc soap opera.  Is that the sum of it?
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 01:12:54 am »

I don't watch videos so I don't know how that fits in, but yeah, it's supposed to be one huge story.  And some of it takes place in SPACE!

But of course, if you don't like the music, I don't think the whole story idea will be able to pull you in as much.  I think they are really original.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 01:21:23 am »

I have never been able to appreciate anything where people took a genre I like and added Metal to it. Except Nirvana, which is my favorite band.

that is all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Albums I may have missed this year?
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 02:02:20 am »

I like the genre of airplanes where they took the wood and added metal to it, except for the Spruce Goose, which I stood in a few weeks ago.

Seriously, big wooden airplane.

That is so metal.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up