Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valentine's Day and V-Day  (Read 4299 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:46 am »

When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??
Rah for good deeds.

Paul has been a mod since small times.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 06:15:55 am »

Paul has been a mod since small times.

Man, how the hell did I NOT notice before?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 04:59:29 pm »

I like to feed other people's parking meters when they are about to expire.  I get an extra kick out of the knowledge that this random act of kindness has been outlawed.  It makes me feel like Robin Hood. 

Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

It felt good. 

To stay somewhat on topic, however, we do not usually do much for Valentine's Day because it falls so close to my birthday.  We never miss March 14, though. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 06:42:34 pm »

Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

I like to pay the toll for the next car in line when I go across a bridge.  With the coming of "Fast Trak" automatic tolling to the Bay Area, this is a little act that is probably nearing extinction.  I'll have to figure out something else randomly kind to do.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:47 pm »

You can still do that. Just roll through the pay toll area with your fast trak and it'll catch the toll for you. Just hand the toll babe the dinero for the next person and move on.

Takes a little premeditated effort so maybe it's not quite the same.
Logged
We must repeat!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 09:03:04 pm »

Sadly, back where I grew up, you could not pay for the person behind you because the NYS Thruway was one of those dealies where everyone pays different tolls, depending on what exit they got on. Some dude who got on in Buffalo would pay four more dollars than I did getting on in Syracuse, both of us getting off in Little Falls.

Of course, if you knew someone who worked at the Thruway Rest Area just outside of town, who would HAPPEN to leave the employee access gate unlocked...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 11:35:51 pm »

I think the "Clam Jam" I am going to this friday has something to do with Valentine's Day/V-Day.

All I know is, a student band I admire is playing. And it has something to do with pu$$ys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 02:47:34 am »

When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??

Paul has been a mod since small times.

That's right, and It's time you started kissing my ass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 07:15:57 am »

That's right, and It's time you started kissing my ass.

I like your hat, paul.

**EDIT: w00t, 800 posts.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 02:02:58 pm »

I like to feed other people's parking meters when they are about to expire.  I get an extra kick out of the knowledge that this random act of kindness has been outlawed.  It makes me feel like Robin Hood. 

Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

It felt good. 

To stay somewhat on topic, however, we do not usually do much for Valentine's Day because it falls so close to my birthday.  We never miss March 14, though. 

See, in my city, parking karma is a thing of the past.  All our parking meters got replaced by these solar powered ticket machines, and you've got to put the ticket on your dash, so it's not possible to be nice to strangers.  Also, the joy of pulling up to a meter and discovering that there's still time on it no longer exists.  It makes me a little bit sad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 03:21:23 pm »

See, in my city, parking karma is a thing of the past.  All our parking meters got replaced by these solar powered ticket machines, and you've got to put the ticket on your dash, so it's not possible to be nice to strangers.  Also, the joy of pulling up to a meter and discovering that there's still time on it no longer exists.  It makes me a little bit sad.

They've been testing those around me for a year or two now. They claim it's better because the machines take plastic (I'm apparently the last person in America to carry cash) but I think you have to buy the whole two hours, which sucks if you know you'll only be 20 minutes. Plus without the actual meters sticking up to guide people while paralles parking nobody ever parks inside the lines. So now they're actually fitting fewer cars into the busiest streets.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up