Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of 2003  (Read 2223 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best of 2003
« on: December 25, 2003, 04:54:21 am »

Alright, the end of the year approacheth, which means it's time for everyone in the world to put out their year-end best-of lists.

Why should we be any different?  List the best movies you saw this year.  Inquiring minds want to know!
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Best of 2003
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 05:11:55 am »

Lost in Translation. Definitely

LOTR: The Two Towers.

Kill Bill, vol. 1.

Under the Tuscan Sun. (The missus and I read the book and its sequel before our honeymoon in It'ly)

Not a great deal more.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Best of 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 05:23:29 am »

Please note this is only a partial list based on memory:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Lost in Translation
The Human Stain
Big giraffe
Kill Bill, Vol. 1
21 Grams
Elephant
The House of Sand and Fog
The Last Samurai
American Splendor
Better Luck Tomorrow
X2: X-Men United
Matchstick Men
L'Auberge Espagnol

And I haven't seen these yet, but I'm hoping they'll live up to the hype.  I will view each of these before the year is out:

Peter Pan
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Caribbean

All in all 2003 was the best year for new movies since 1999, the greatest single year for cinema in over a decade.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best of 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 05:52:04 am »

Being a new father, I only got to see a few movies this year.  In ascending order of quality:

Matrix Revolutions: Talk about screwing the pooch.  
Hulk: OK, I saw this on an airplane while trading a squirming infant back and forth, so this may have colored my opinion.  But it sucked.
Matrix Reloaded: Nice car chase.
Terminator 3: Not a good movie by any means, but the ending had big swinging balls.  
Pirates of the Caribbean: Best Comedic Performance of the Year by Johnny Depp.
A Mighty Wind: Not as good as Christopher Guest's first two, but still funny.
Kill Bill Vol. 1: Blood and fun.
The Return of the King: Alright, I haven't seen this yet.  It's still at the top.

Someday I'll get to see: Lost in Translation, Finding Nemo, Whale Rider, School of Rock, Elf, Big giraffe, X2, Old School.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Best of 2003
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 06:10:13 pm »

Oy, what a long year.  Both matrices were pretty bloody awful, despite the fanboy (errr... girl) enthusiasm I mustered.  Kill Bill was everything I expected (that's a good thing)... umm, let's see:
Bubba Ho-tep
Lost in Translation
School of Rock...

A pretty lame list, especially since I cheated.[/url]
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Best of 2003
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 01:18:46 am »

To take the spirit of this post (best movies of 2003) and not the letter (best movies seen in 2003, by whose standards Citizen Kane would be topping this list), mine are pretty slim, actually:

American Splendor (Goddammit, people, just see this movie. I mean it.)
School of Rock (I laughed. Repeatedly.)
Return of the King (Not a perfect film, not even an excellent film, but at times magnificent.)

I guess I could note down all the enjoyment I received from vicariously mocking "The Hulk," but that wouldn't be fair.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Best of 2003
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 06:00:48 pm »

american splendor
lost in translation
kill bill
and dirty pretty things....there must be more, as these are all rather recent.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Best of 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 08:25:00 pm »

Lost in Translation is on mine as well...  it's the only one I can think of right now, but that's just because I haven't seen Return of the King yet.....
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up