Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: May 2, 2007: Dude! Every time you talk, blood shoots out of your ears!  (Read 4521 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Mr. Bear is concerned for the same reason Vlad is. Ray cannot be seen in this condition and can never be seen without his glasses. Granted he had a different pair of glasses when he was young but the dude always has on hell of classy shades.*

I'm too wussy to tape up my own injuries. Sabu has been known to seal wounds from barbed wire with super glue and continue on as if nothing had happened. Dude has some scarring issues.


*I'm aware that we have seen Ray's eyes before, but that was for effect. It just shows how special and rare it is.
Logged

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile

After seeing Ray's face all pushed-in I forgot how he normally looks. Had to go back a day and refresh my memory. I've always wondered if Ray has a predilection for plastic surgery. Maybe we will find out? Will it be a website cross over with awfulplasticsurgery.com? I feel so engaged as an achewood fan right now.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Vlad's attitude is completely old-school and Pete Rose.

Play hard, cripple a dude sliding into home in an exhibition game but... dammit... if you DO wound him terribly, protect the man from the press like a goddamned bulldog. You just broke his fuckin' leg for an insurance run in a game that means nothing but he is a brother of the bat and... should be treated as such.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile

I agree, 'specially about the colour choice. Hope he sells a jillion of them, though one won't be me.
I agree as well. Unfortunately I still think I need one...
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

V-Adore

  • Guest

Is Ray about to become the brain-addled bus guy?  This raises a few issues.  If he dies of his injury instead, precedent suggests that he'll likely just go to Hell for a while and return after having some wacky adventures.  But what effects would brain damage have?  Death itself is apparently not a traumatic enough experience in Achewood to alter one's personality, but then Pat can fry his ding-dong and turn a complete 180.  Where does sustaining a frontal lobe injury fall on that continuum?

To be fair, Pat's ding-dong-frying-catalyzed personality change was based on an ancient curse of some sort (too lazy to Jstr it, sorry), so I would expect that even brain damage might not actually change Ray's personality. On the other hand, having a shard of Rodney Leonard Stubbs's personal glasses frames thrust into your frontal lobe could well pull quite the Gage on you.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

To be fair, Pat's ding-dong-frying-catalyzed personality change was based on an ancient curse of some sort (too lazy to Jstr it, sorry), so I would expect that even brain damage might not actually change Ray's personality. On the other hand, having a shard of Rodney Leonard Stubbs's personal glasses frames thrust into your frontal lobe could well pull quite the Gage on you.

::steps out of the shadows::

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09242003

::vanishes while you aren't looking, Batman: TAS-style::
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

I know it is just a comic strip, but I was actually angry at the other characters, thinking "for fuck sake!  Get him to a hospital!  This is serious!"  Is there a word for comically horrific?

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile

I know it is just a comic strip, but I was actually angry at the other characters, thinking "for fuck sake!  Get him to a hospital!  This is serious!"  Is there a word for comically horrific?

Wait. Where do you get the impression that they aren't going to take Ray to a hospital? I mean, sure, everybody is stoned so they're not on their game, but they seem to be acting about as responsibly as one could expect (Teodor asking questions to check Ray's awareness, etc). More importantly, Beef has emerged from his plexiglass chamber to face the stoners, so he's acknowledging in his superior state of sobriety that There Is A Problem. I'd be surprised if the next strip didn't take place in the hospital or on the way. Either way, I trust Onstad to do something funny which will ultimately bring the strip back to its status quo.

Bleeding from the ears isn't THAT uncommon with head trauma and doesn’t really suggest permanent brain damage (the continued spurts are unrealistic and clearly just for comic effect). Could just be a broken nose and a concussion. If this arc strives for realism, he'll probably lose some memories of the event but ultimately be okay. I had a (human) friend in a similar situation due to a soccer ball, which I'll admit isn't as hard as a softball, but still.

EDIT: Actually, don't people usually get hit in the back of the head to get the bleeding-of-the-ears thing? I'm definitely not an expert on this. But I doubt Onstad is, either.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

They are just standing around talking!  While he is bleeding!  From his ears!  And Ray is... smiling! 

This alarms me in a profound way.

If this happened in real life to a friend, I was the kind of stoner who is so paranoid-freak-out-y-that I would probably just chant "hospital, hospital, hospital" until the necessary action was taken, but do nothing to ensure that it was actually done.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

T is wearing a batting helmet, while Ray did not bat with a helmet.  I guess you don't need one when you have cat-like reflexes.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Uh nope. This actually happened to me once, when an anvil fell on my head!

Did you experience acute accordianism too?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile

In anvil-related cases, it is possible to diagnose the exact site of the brain trauma by observing the species of the bird that flies around your head tweeting.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Bleeding from the ears usually results from skull fracture and is a Grave Sign.  E.g. Dale Earnhardt was found in that condition after his 180mph head-on into the wall at Daytona.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Bleeding from the ears usually results from skull fracture and is a Grave Sign.  E.g. Dale Earnhardt was found in that condition after his 180mph head-on into the wall at Daytona.

Any kind of leakage from the ears is a hella bad sign, whether blood as in Ray's case, or clear fluid (CSF, cerebrospinal fluid). That means that they've gotta get to a level 1 trauma center ASAP. We are at least 3 hours away from one of those unless we happen to have a plane already on the ground, fueled, and ready to rock. Thank heavens that Ray is a cartoon cat.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up