Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hell Music Festival  (Read 1832 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Hell Music Festival
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:06:26 am »

OK, so I saw that an unregistered guest was reading this thread earlier, and I read all fourteen pages of it with the intention of resurrecting it before I realized it was locked.  At least I found out the source of those mustachioed avatars - I managed to miss this one back when that was going on.

Anyway, I am bringing the locked thread back through cloning of fossilized dinosaur sperm because of this:

In Norway there is a town called Hell. In one store there, they sold these cigarette lighters that said "I've been in HELL". That cigarette lighter was the coolest thing in existence when I was 13 or so.

Little did I know then that 20-some years later I would be reading an electronic comic, if you will, about two cats called Roast Beef and Ray that go to hell.

Sorry to interrupt, carry on.

My dad went to Hell, Norway last summer for some sort of conference, and there was this music festival going on there at the same time, headlined by Deep Purple and Bob Geldof.  He brought back a program, which I will scan as soon as my scanner unbreaks itself.  Parliament-Funkadelic was also playing in Norway while he was there, but that was in another town so he didn't go.  I thought this was worth sharing.

I have a cigarette lighter story also.  When my high school orchestra visited China we found a vendor in Tiananmen Square selling lighters with an embossed portrait of Mao Tse Tung on them.  When the top of the lighter was open, a little red LED would flash and it would play "The East Is Red" in that tinny electronic tone used in musical greeting cards and Hot Wheels cars with sirens.  My best friend, who has never smoked in his life but still collects lighters (and in fact almost got bumped from the trip for trying to bring a spare canister of butane onto the plane) bought one immediately.  Sadly, being made in China, it broke (both the music player and the lighter itself) before we even went back again.  We left its lifeless husk in a drawer in the hotel room.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:32:09 am »

There is also a Hell, Michigan.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:48 am »

Sadly, being made in China, it broke (both the music player and the lighter itself) before we even went back again.

You need major Connections to get high-quality tourist junk in China.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:16:27 am »

You need major Connections to get high-quality tourist junk in China.

I bought a sword at a market in Tianjin, and that's held up pretty well.  It's not like I stab people with it all that often, though.

My mom, who was chaperoning, bought a nice watch for my dad in reference to the Monty Python sketch about the Piranha Brothers.  He still wears it, but then it came from a shop at a university and not just some dude on the street, and it was relatively expensive.

On the other hand, my friend bought a bootleg copy of The Wall that turned out to be "Pink Floyd's The Wall as Performed by the Dutch National Wind Ensemble" or something weird like that.  The tracks also began and ended at seemingly random points in the middle of the songs, and some were missing.  He also bought a bootleg copy of The Passion of the Christ, from the Godless Red Chinese, on Easter Sunday.  He's a devout Baptist.  We all had a good laugh about that one.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:28 pm »

I bought a sword at a market in Tianjin, and that's held up pretty well.  It's not like I stab people with it all that often, though.

Is this story about you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:44 am »

I bought a sword at a market in Tianjin, and that's held up pretty well.  It's not like I stab people with it all that often, though.

Is this story about you?

ALWAYS run the sink if you think I might be home.

...although actually this is a lot more my style.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:26:06 am »

My dad went to Hell... and there was this music festival going on there at the same time, headlined by Deep Purple and Bob Geldof.

How very appropriate. Throw in Loverboy or The Knack for the fuck'n trifecta.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Music Festival
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:10:55 pm »

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up