Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip  (Read 4738 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:54 pm »

Basically this strip is the Titus Andronicus of saddest thing strips.

You are the winner of the internets today.  A tiny, well-educated can for you, sirrah.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:34:58 pm »

I agree with whoever said the last time that the real genius in these strips lies in the pre-Saddest Thing exchanges between LB and Philippe ("You sure you're ready?" "I ... I think so, this time.").
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:07 pm »

The thing about this iteration of TST is that each individual piece of it is incredibly sad:

- "toilet from an abandoned space station" - the utter uselessness of the item's existence is implied there.
- child playing alone - again, the implied loneliness of the child.
- terribly violent death scene
- agonizingly sweet final words from the dead/dying child
- "half a hard-boiled egg" - not even the whole part

But at the end, the individual parts are worth more than the sum. Still, like Donovan McNabb, Achewood at 75% is still one of the best comics out there.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 01:56:20 am »

I wouldn't store all my half hard-boiled eggs in the McNabb basket.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 03:21:39 am »

I love it.

I don't think there is any saddest thing threedux that would have pleased you guys, but I, for one, greatly appreciate Onstad including gratuitous gore in his comic.

I have two reasons.  One, it quenches your thirst for blood, ultimately keeping you sane, happy, vital, and sexual, and two, because the willingness to go there is another small aspect that sets Achewood apart from other comics.  Achewood will kill a small boy, crush him into a bloody mound, and that is important.  So good, you can taste it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 05:14:55 am »

This strip itself is the Saddest Thing.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 06:06:54 am »

The thing about this iteration of TST is that each individual piece of it is incredibly sad:

- "toilet from an abandoned space station" - the utter uselessness of the item's existence is implied there.
- child playing alone - again, the implied loneliness of the child.
- terribly violent death scene
- agonizingly sweet final words from the dead/dying child
- "half a hard-boiled egg" - not even the whole part

But at the end, the individual parts are worth more than the sum.

Thank you for breaking that down. I dare say that I agree with you, despite my initial hatred of the strip. I agree that the sum of the parts does not equal a greater whole, but the imagery is quite visceral.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 07:41:40 am »

What I find most disturbing about this strip, in my neuroscientist way, is the implication that the child's brain is somehow intact enough to articulate "I love you, Mommy," despite the fact that (as the alt text notes, fantastically) the head is so mutilated that the eyes and nose are not visible. Ohh, cold shivers.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 09:17:50 am »

the child's brain is somehow intact enough to articulate "I love you, Mommy,"

Such things are possible not by your petty science but through love and tragicomedy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 12:00:46 pm »

Awp!
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 04:05:41 pm »

Such things are possible not by your petty science but through love and tragicomedy.

I'm not saying "zomg scientific inaccuracy!", I'm saying "oooh, eerie." Hell, all's fair in love, war, Saddest Things, and brain injury.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:01 pm »

I read this strip three times. 

First reaction: Ick. 

Second reaction: Sad, I guess, but not as sad as the retarded man with the broken egg. 

Third reaction: Ick. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

keithcozz

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 12:34:28 am »

"Hee-Haw?"  Goddamn.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 12:39:35 am »

Finally I get a response.  Dude registered just to say Goddamn at my comparing Achewood to Hee-Haw. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 01:47:24 am »

Finally I get a response.  Dude registered just to say Goddamn at my comparing Achewood to Hee-Haw. 

Just be sure to always use your mysterious powers for Good, Paul.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up