Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rosetta Stone  (Read 1820 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Rosetta Stone
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:34:55 am »

So, as it turns out, being a member of my local library offers me free access to some languages in the Rosetta Stone program. My wife and I are thinking of taking the course in Spanish - if it's free, why not? Just wondering if anyone's used the software and what they have to say about it.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:45:17 am »

uh how about you burn one and send it my way? I did the demo and ive been dieing for one ever since, problem is it costs like $80.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 03:49:52 am »

Scandalous! I would if I could, but the flash files download from a central source - we don't actually get our hands on CDs or anything.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:48:56 am »

It helped the hardworking farmboy bag the Italian supermodel, so it must be pretty good.


You know, I went looking for a copy of that ad, and I found out that you can use it to learn Iñupiaq. That's pretty cool. Let us know how it goes, would you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:22:35 pm »

I looked at some of the Japanese version for someone and my opinion was that I didn't think you could learn a language this way without supplementing it with a textbook. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »

I have Rosetta Stone for beginning Polish, which I bought years back in preparation for a then-impending trip to Poland.  I ran through the first couple lessons, said "I am not going to actually learn much useful from this in the three weeks I have," and shelved it.  If I had buckets of free time, I'd pull it back out and give it a try, because I too am curious to know if the method can be effective if one persists.

The Polish word for cat is "kot."  And "samochod" I think is car, though it might be plane.  That's all I remember.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:26:07 am »

And the Polish word for "submarine hatch" is "screen door."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Rosetta Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 02:54:11 am »

Any people that charge German tanks with hosss, though, they got a lot in the sack department and not so much in the brain department.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up