Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Poll

A man in England is in court for urinating on a woman as she lay dying in the street, citing it would be great "for YouTube".  Is there a punishment fitting this man that wouldn't sink to his level of barbarism?

Yes, there is (detail in thread)
- 5 (26.3%)
No, there isn't, but here's the next best thing
- 4 (21.1%)
No, there isn't, period
- 10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17


Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a fitting punishment for this atrocity that doesn't sink to its level?  (Read 6641 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Is there a fitting punishment for this atrocity that doesn't sink to its lev
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:27 pm »

I have always agreed with what the guy in Fight Club says. I mean... why would you speed to get to work? Is work so important that you will die for it?

I drive 5 over, basically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

I don't know where the information comes from, but this site, dedicated to Christine Lankinski's memory notes that Anderson was accompanied by two other men who participated in this act, along with "several" female witnesses who "laughed at his actions."  The idea that there were other particip-ants/witnesses makes the act especially horrible to me.  A group that - in this description - included 5 or more people, and no one had the decency to stop this?  This is terribly sad.  And all the people involved are equally guilty in my book.  In this article her brother says Christine was estranged from the rest of her family for 20 years and notes ""Christine was born with a disability and was teased and ridiculed all through her life.  She was constantly having to change her address because she was always being picked on." The same article notes that she was mentally the age of a teenager and well known in the neighbourhood.

There really is no punishment... I mean, I want to say fix it:  make it so these people actually feel the horrible, soul-crushing guilt that they should feel.  Make it so that they spend the rest of their lives doing only good, never able to feel that they have done enough good, always knowing that they can not undo this horrible act... but I know life doesn't work that way.  So no - there is no punishment.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:21:48 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest

There really is no punishment... I mean, I want to say fix it:  make it so these people actually feel the horrible, soul-crushing guilt that they should feel.  Make it so that they spend the rest of their lives doing only good, never able to feel that they have done enough good, always knowing that they can not undo this horrible act... but I know life doesn't work that way.  So no - there is no punishment.
Seconded. Also, canned.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Is there a fitting punishment for this atrocity that doesn't sink to its lev
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:06 pm »

Quote
I don't know where the information comes from, but  this site, dedicated to Christine Lankinski's memory notes that Anderson was accompanied by two other men who participated in this act, along with "several" female witnesses who "laughed at his actions."  The idea that there were other particip-ants/witnesses makes the act especially horrible to me.  A group that - in this description - included 5 or more people, and no one had the decency to stop this?  This is terribly sad.

taking psych classes has made me depressingly used to this shit really fast.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a fitting punishment for this atrocity that doesn't sink to its lev
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 02:12:36 am »

Apparently I am really, really callous.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up