Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids  (Read 4064 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »

You know, I don't think I've ever even considered the possibility that he might plan anything in advance.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45:58 pm »

Yeah, I've never been sure about that either. He's remarkable at creating the effect, but he may just be an awesome impromptu writer. (This is more likely, really, since it seems to be the major skill required for keeping up a webcomic.)
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 10:46:49 pm »

That and drinking.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 10:57:03 pm »

See, I think he plans it all out meticulously, at least on some level.

You can't have such distinct character voices without REALLY overthinking what you're writing about.

It's just that... in the actual execution, if he has a funnier idea, he goes with that idea and worries about making it all come back to The Plan later.

I dunno, I know it's kinda navel-gazing to theorize about the Process of a writer you've never met but...

That's just what I always figured.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 03:40:27 am »

See, I think he plans it all out meticulously, at least on some level.

You can't have such distinct character voices without REALLY overthinking what you're writing about.


Yeah, but...

I think you're right on when it comes to character voices.  Onstad has obviously devoted much mental energy to the details of each of the characters.

However, I'm not sure that the plots are developed that way.  They just feel way (waaay) too spontaneous for that.

But the so-called "over"thinking of the characters fits in with that style.  Onstad knows his characters so well he understands how they will react to any random situation he throws them in.  Because he has created Beef (or Ray or Lyle or whoever) as such a fully nuanced character he could randomly pick plot twists and write realistic character reactions and interactions.  Because he's made the characters so real, they will act in real ways -- no matter the situation.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 01:12:11 pm »

I think August is exactly right.

Also, doesn't Onstad say in an interview somewhere that he doesn't plan the plots? I'm working on pretending to have a life outside the internet or I'd reread them all to find it... let's see how long that lasts.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 06:23:47 pm »

But the so-called "over"thinking of the characters fits in with that style.  Onstad knows his characters so well he understands how they will react to any random situation he throws them in.  Because he has created Beef (or Ray or Lyle or whoever) as such a fully nuanced character he could randomly pick plot twists and write realistic character reactions and interactions.  Because he's made the characters so real, they will act in real ways -- no matter the situation.

This is how Pedro writes.  He meets the people in his head, and then throws them into different situations to see what they do. 

Also, Faulkner said he wrote this way.  "'I listen to the voices, and when I put down what the voices say, it's right." 

I personally don't have that kind of brain -- which is why I write shitty dialog, all my characters sound like me.  But it's certainly a natural process for a lot of writers, and I think Onstad is probably one of them.  Without it, writing the character blogs would be impossible. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 09:04:37 pm »

Ironically, this is a skill that roleplaying helped me with. All the writing classes in the world couldn't make my dialogue non-shit, but doing enough D&D and other character-focused activities helped a lot. Who said it was a waste of time?

(Me. Frequently. But hey.)
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 02:41:14 am »

I'm interested in this rating system of Ray's. I need you to give me a ride to work on a scale of 1-10. You'll do a seven? Great.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up